Brown spots in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cwmont13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting to get quite a few brown spots on my tank decorations and wanted to get an idea what's going on? Tank is a 25 gallon tall and has 6 zebra dainos in it since September with 10% WC's weekly and 25% WC's monthly treated with Prime. All param's are good no ammonia, nitrItes, and nitrAtes < 20 PH 7.6 temp 77/78 degrees (API Master Freshwater). Lighting is a dual T5 and is on for about 8/9 hours a day. Tank sits in a corner by a window that has closed blinds and heavy drapes, get no direct sunlight and little indirect sunlight.

I've read this is sometimes normal in new tanks and will clear over time. Just wanted opinions. Have a look. TIA for your help :fish1:

Attachments

• tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 87
  • tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 83
  • tank5.jpg
    tank5.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 83
Diatoms. A brown algae caused by silicates in the water. Usually these will stop developing as your aquarium ages. For now all I would do is wipe them away, trying to capture as much as possible. Better yet, remove the ornaments and clean them outside the tank. You will probably find that you will get some on the glass and probably the gravel before the tank matures. They arent harmful, just an eyesore.

Retired_AF said:
Diatoms. A brown algae caused by silicates in the water. Usually these will stop developing as your aquarium ages. For now all I would do is wipe them away, trying to capture as much as possible. Better yet, remove the ornaments and clean them outside the tank. You will probably find that you will get some on the glass and probably the gravel before the tank matures. They arent harmful, just an eyesore.

Thanks that's what I thought they were but never hurts to get another opinion. Probably clean them up a bit on my next big WC.

If you have a fish only tank and want to speed the cycle of getting rid of them faster you can add a phosphate remover to your filter. Phosphate removers also remove silicates from the water. Also be sure not to leave your lights on too long and keep nutrients levels low as this also contributes to diatoms.

Rivercats said:
If you have a fish only tank and want to speed the cycle of getting rid of them faster you can add a phosphate remover to your filter. Phosphate removers also remove silicates from the water. Also be sure not to leave your lights on too long and keep nutrients levels low as this also contributes to diatoms.

Would that be something like
Fluval Clearmax Phosphate Remover I know that sell that at the petsmart close to my house. By keeping nutrients low do you mean not overfeeding?

Thanks

Would that be something like
Fluval Clearmax Phosphate Remover I know that sell that at the petsmart close to my house. By keeping nutrients low do you mean not overfeeding?

Thanks

Yes, that product would work. Keeping nutrients low by not overfeeding, doing 50% WC's weekly, cleaning your filters as needed, just basic good tank maintenance. Plus adding some nutrient sucking plants like water sprite or wisteria can help alot.

Thanks for the replies so far. The diatoms are definitely getting worse.
Tomorrow I'm going to scrape the sides, brush off the plastic plants and ornaments, do 50% WC's weekly. Then wait a while and see if it clears up.

If not move to plan B. Add my spare filter loaded with Fluval clearmax and try that.

HELP more diatom advice needed !

I'm still having diatom issues and getting worse. I added my spare filter loaded with a single sponge and a packet of Fluval clearmax roughly about a month ago and have done a couple of 50% WC's since then plus I've been doing 10 to 15 gallon water changes weekly but still having diatom issues (see attached pic). As you can see the diatom's are way happy in my tank right now. They just seem to be getting worse. On the lighter side, I have plenty of filtration now with both filters ;)

So what do I do now? Just keep brushing them off, doing PWC's and wait it out? Or should I just pull all the decorations and clean them off and vac the substrate real good? Possibly add 4 or 5 Oto's?

Only have 6 zebra's in there and feeding small amount only once daily.

TIA for any advice as I'm at a loss as how to proceed. Add the fact that my Wife keeps asking me why the tank looks so bad and you get the picture :hide:

Attachments

• tank_1.jpg
    tank_1.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 77
Try running your lights only 6 hours a day for now and you can add either nerite snails or oto's, both of which love diatoms.

Try running your lights only 6 hours a day for now and you can add either nerite snails or oto's, both of which love diatoms.

Rivercats Thanks for the advice I'm going to look into that. I'm thinking the snails might be a good choice as my 6 yr old daughter likes them. How many would you suggest? I was thinking about 7 or 8 is that good?

Back
Top Bottom