Brown stuff on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenyi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is this brown stuff that suddenly showed up on my glass?

Or this.

Attachments

• 20180122_095852.jpg
    20180122_095852.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 104
That stuff is harmless, but unsightly algae. Might consider buying a magnetic algae scraper, which will enable you to easily dislodge it off the glass. A small variety Pleco, like "Bristlenose" can also assist in keeping the algae under control.

looks like diatoms - harmless. but yes, unsighty. not sure if pleco eats this.
if you going to get a magnetic scraper get a good one (read the significantly more expensive one). thought to take a shortcut on this and bought china-fantastic 25$ brick at fish show. absolutely useless, didn't remove anything whatsoever after many many passes. and then after few month handle felt out :facepalm:.
luckily razor blade always works.

good luck!

I'm thinking it is temperature related. I went away for a few days and turned the thermostat down.

Wipe the glass down vacuum the gravel along with a water change. Sorry to hear about your platy. Watch your fish. A clean tank is better health for your fish. Could've too much light. Yes, it's so called "harmless" but it's still build up.

I get this now and again. I attribute it to slightly over feeding but I could be wrong. Could be to much light. I work long hours and don't have a timer on two of my tanks. I just simply wipe the glass off before my water change when i start to see the stuff. I've never lost fish or had anything happen from it that I'm aware of but I also don't let it build up a whole lot.

In most cases diatoms occur in new tanks..How long has tank been set up.
I have not seen diatoms kill fish so will ask what your water changes schedule is..
Likely IMO the platy passed from water parameters not the algae..

I have an algae scraper I got for 8 bucks on amazon, and it works great.API ALGAE SCRAPER For Glass Aquariums 1-Count Container

Back
Top Bottom