Bubble problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ID1889

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The bubbles going to the surface of the water are making a thick foam layer on the surface, I didn't put any fish in yet, and I also recently conditioned the water yesterday, so...what im really saying is this normal, can i get rid of the thick foam, or is it because of the water conditioning and will it eventually go away? I just have no clue whatsoever

i get that stuff all the time.

Are you still cycling?

to get rid of it just take a clean paper towl and run it across the top of the water, it should soak it up.

BTW WECOME to Aquarium Advice :wave:

I don't mean to threadjack but I am having the same problem. I just setup my tank yesterday and added the water conditioner and it started getting a layer of bubbles along the top. I am using the powerheads on my UGF and it is creating tons of bubbles which are sticking to everything, walls, plants, filters, heater...everything! Is this normal for a new tank with no fish that hasn't begun to cycle?

I am going to be doing a fishless cycle at first.

Bubbles sticking to areas of the tank and not on the surface is completely normal. Just wait until you do your first PWC :). Because the glass is so clean still a biological filter has not developed on the surfaces of the tank (your nitrifying bacteria among other things). Once this is developed you will have a slime coat on the surfaces and you will not see the bubbles stick.

As for the surface this is normally a protein sheen caused by over feeding, disturbing the substrate/filter, or when nearing the end of a cycle when you have a bacterial bloom. Basically leave it alone, it won't cause any problems and should go away on its own, or when you do a water change.

foam

Another possibility is dust from your gravel. Is this a new tank with new gravel? Anytime I wash gravel, I get a thick white foam the first few times I pour off water from the washing bucket. I believe it is the same effect a protein skimmer has in a saltwater setup. It is harmless & will eventually leave with partial water changes, get collected in the filter or as suggested, you can use paper towels or a fish net to remove it. Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom