bubbles on top of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeanWatson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm fairly new to this aquarium thing. Was jus wondering why it looks like there is soap bubbles in my tank. Even more when I turn on my air pump. My fish don't look affected by this. I was just wondering why it's doing this.

I have a goldfish na fancy. This didn't start till I put the air stone in it

ForumRunner_20131014_155811.jpg

Hmm how long has the tank been set up and the fish been there. Does your water always look that cloudy. Do you know what your ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels are?

No my my isn't usually that cloudy. I jus been busy the post couple of days. It's been up for about the weeks now. N I know my ammonia is high but everything else is good

No my my isn't usually that cloudy. I jus been busy the post couple of days. It's been up for about the weeks now. N I know my ammonia is high but everything else is good

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle or what a biofilter is before I advise any further?

Ok buckle up this is going to be a fun couple weeks for you.

Fish poo and uneaten food will decompose in the tank creating ammonia. Ammonia is very toxic. A bacteria will start to grow that eats ammonia. But that bacteria will only turn the ammonia to nitrites.

Nitrites are still very toxic. They to can kill but soon a new bacteria will grow that eats nitrites and turns them into nitrates.

Nitrates are not as toxic and are removed from the tank with water changes.

This is known as cycling your tank and adding fish before the biofilter has fully grown can be very dangerouse. This process is recommended to take at least 3 weeks in a small freshwater tank.

Ha! My kid over feeds the fish lol. We had already had the fish before. The tank I had before had cracked but the don't know how that happened lol. Anyway should I do 20 percent or 50 percent water changes?

What is your ammonia levels at now and when was your last water change as well as how much did you change.

Now aMmonia is at 4.0ppm. I last did a 20percent change Friday morning.

Ok to answer the original question the air stone bubles are creating the foam but thats only because of the water quality. Once its cycled it will be fine.

I would do daily 35% water changes for now checking your ammonia daily. If it goes above 4ppm we may need to change more water.

Back
Top Bottom