Bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charmaine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a male sword tail that is bullying all the female sword tails to the point that they hide. Could I temporary put him in a fish bowl? I have no other filter or air pump, but will get in the future. I just want a solution for now

I think your male swordtail is just doing what male swordtails do. You might consider adding one or two more females to dilute the aggression. Or if you are good at selecting fish, go to your LFS and pick out a bigger, tougher looking male swordtail which might make your trouble
Maker the subordinate. Relax, solving these little problems make the hobby fun. Hope this helps.

Its better to add more females.

Adding another male most likely will leads to more trouble.

If you have a lot of females one of the females most likely will turn into a male.

When a female turns it is more excepted by the male that is already in the tank.

be sides you get to watch a female sex change take place.

I think your male swordtail is just doing what male swordtails do. You might consider adding one or two more females to dilute the aggression. Or if you are good at selecting fish, go to your LFS and pick out a bigger, tougher looking male swordtail which might make your trouble
Maker the subordinate. Relax, solving these little problems make the hobby fun. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for your reply. I love my fish and I don't want any of them to be stressed. I have one male and 3 females. My male seem to just pick on the one female. She is the only one that is hiding.

Its better to add more females.

Adding another male most likely will leads to more trouble.

If you have a lot of females one of the females most likely will turn into a male.

When a female turns it is more excepted by the male that is already in the tank.

be sides you get to watch a female sex change take place.
Thank you for your reply. I have one male for 3 females. He only chase and pick on one poor female.

That's just under 12g, way too small for swords, they get around 3-4 inches, and with livebearers the females need to be able to get a break from the males. If you want to keep them you are going to need a bigger tank :/

Thank you for your reply. I wish they had told me that at the pet store. They knew my tank size. I can't get a bigger tank at the moment, but will in the future

Back
Top Bottom