Buying a new tank and have questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going to upgrade from my 6 gallon eclipse to a new tank.

been looking at an odd sized flat back hex.. that I love because it gives me 25 gallons of water in only a 23'' long space (teh space I have is 24")

Now.. questions.

The tank has a built in filter. I am looking at a planted tank and can have the full back filter, or save the space and have the manufactuer give me corner filter instead.. any reason NOt to go for the corner filter? both are powerful.

Would a tank 15'' deep look nice, or is there a reason most tanks are only 12''

any thoughts on a black background?

the tank is also 15 high.

I like being able to fit 25 gallons into a small space. Does this sound liek a nice set up..

acrylic btw. I have a 2 yr old baby.

I don't know what to say about the filter or the background, but as far as size and shape and all, that sounds like a good setup to me. As long as it looks good to you and fits right where you want it, i see not reason to not get it...

Sounds like a nice set up to me.
If it fits your space and you like it I say go for it.
As for the black background: I also use black backgrounds on some of my tanks.
It looks real nice with white sand substrate.
No reason not to go with the corner filter IMO.
Go for the biggest filter.
Remember a planted tank needs LOTS of light(3watts per gal.)so make sure your lights can handel it.
If not try using low light plants.
Well good luck.
HTH

just wondered why the odd shaped tank. a standard 25g tank is 24x12x20

i use a black background on my 10g w/ eco-complete black substrate

and i think a rena filstar xp1 would be a good filter for a standard 25g planted

AGA tanks come in 12, 16, 18, 20 22, 24, and 28
with 20" being as common as 12"

Sounds like a neat tank. I do wonder what the surface area is tho; that amount will dictate how well you can stock it (more surface area = more oxygen exchange = more fish can live happily in the tank).

If you're looking to save space, then obviously the corner filter will provide that. Personally I prefer the HOB for smaller tanks such as a 25g, as they provide surface agitation as well as filtration (again, more surface agitation, more O2 exchange). Plus, I like the Marineland filters that come with the biowheels.

A black backround would really make the fish stand out; you might want to consider black substrate as well. It will also make the fish feel more safe and comfortable surprisingly.

What are you looking to stock it with?

well, right now I have a somewhat overstocked 6 gallon, so I figure I'll start by moving my guys into a bigger home.

I have 2 small cory cats (would love to add another)
2 algea eaters
4 columbian tetras
2 zebra danios.

The odd shape gives me more depth and less length... the space is exactly 24" and near a doorway , so I think the inch leeway and the cut corners of the flat back hex will make it less like a hallway leading into that room.

The tank manufacturer was talking about 36 wtt light kit.. sounds like I may need more.. I'd heard 1.5 to 2 watts per gallon.. is that not enough for plants?

this filter has "bio balls" .. he has the full back version which is four chambered.. ie mechanical.. heat ... bio.. whatever.. but he says that is most neces for salt or reef systems... I was just thinking of not losing the full 3" in depth real estate.

problem with going iwth this system is the stand costs more too.. but I figure I'm going to live with this a long time.

I am open to plant/fish suggestions..

also anyone have any thoughts on florite vs. eco-complete substrate?

You'll want more lighting if its destined to be a planted tank, at least 3 watts per gallon. I've never used flourite or eco-complete; I have sand and laterite in 2 tanks, and just started a tank with Onyx sand (don't think I like it; shoulda done the sand and laterite again. its just ugly and clouds too easily for my tastes).

As for the fish, I suggest adding 3 more corys, 3 or 4 more danios and 2 more columbian tetras. All those guys are really schooling fish, and you want at least 5-6 of each for them to be truly happy. What sort of algae eaters do you have? Theres a bunch of different types. If they are true SAEs, you can likely add a slightly larger centerpiece fish; maybe an angel or a gourami.

I agree about the corys and the columbians... I was told they were true SAEs.. at two places.. so I guess I have to believe them. they are skinny, almost worm like adn have sucker mouths and like to hang off of everythign, including the floating thermometer.

I used to have angel fish and gourami's as a kid.. and they were kind of aggressive.. any ideas for a "centerpiece" fish that won't pick on my others?

I hate to add more zebras, since I'm not thrilled with the choice I made on the first two.. but you are probably right there too.

what is laterite? and are you using a carbon system. do I need one?

also .. any heater suggestions for an acrylic tank?

and finally, I am going acrylic to be child proof for my son.. so this may be moot, but is it a mistake?

A single angel or gourami should be fine in the tank with those sort of tankmates; there isn't another fish they would consider competitors for their territory, which is why gouramis and angels generally get aggressive. There are plenty of other fish that would do nicely; what sort of fish are you interested in?

Laterite is very similar to flourite; our plant gurus can explain much better then I LOL I use carbon in some of my planted tanks but not all; you really want CO2 when you are running over 3 watts per gallon. I got one of those Nutrafin CO2 ladder thingies; works fine for me, but you can make your own CO2 thingie for much cheaper.

You'll want a 100-150 watt heater for the tank; makes no diff what the tank is made of. All my tanks (except my 8g hex) are all glass; I just prefer it cause it doesn't scratch. Its a heck of alot heavier then acrylic tho.

I hate to add more zebras, since I'm not thrilled with the choice I made on the first two..
Then don't. I have learned that unless you truly love a fish--don't get more! I have two tetras that I am not crazy about--they will live out their lives with me--I will not prolong their lives, I will not shorten their lives and I will not take them back to the LFS.
Allivymar said:
I do wonder what the surface area is tho; that amount will dictate how well you can stock it (more surface area = more oxygen exchange = more fish can live happily in the tank).
You can add to the oxygen exchange by adding a bubble wall (or something similar). I have an 18" deep hex, not much surface area and a bubble wall. The fish are doing well and I like the aesthetics.

you'll definitely need more light if you want plants. be sure to figure out how much light you can get on it before starting plants. plants will also add oxygen to the water, though not enough to overstock. check out the plant forum. just reading a lot there should help. HTH

all this talk about more and more surface agitation, in a PLANTED tank. o2 exchange means o2 in, co2 out. so if you get bio-wheels, bubble walls, and/or a wet/dry 8O you'll definitely needed co2 injection. im still partial to a canister myself :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom