Buying Ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cody_Sebastian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read somewhere that you can't use the type of ammonia that fizzes up really bad like pop. Is this true? This is the only kind my local home improvement stores sell.

They sell lemon ammonia but that's not even relevant I'm sure. ?

Hi.
You need pure Ammonia, usually sold at 10% strength, the other component being water. I use Kleen Off Ammonia, but there are other brands. If the bottle has any other ingredients, including fragrances or detergents, then it's not for you. I got mine off Amazon, the postage is almost as much as the product, but it's lasts for ever as you only use a little.
It's interesting that on Amazon they list all the other products that people bought when buying Kleen Off and they were all fish keeping items.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Drs. Foster and Smith sell pure ammonia as well. Not as good of a bargain but you really don't need a ton.

A lot of large grocery stores will carry it in the cleaning aisle. Hardware stores can also carry it.

If all else fails: use a cocktail shrimp, throw it in a stocking, and then stick it in your tank.

Check out dollar stores, I got it from there. And also found it in one of the Walmart store.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is this the right one?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1433008623248.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1433008623248.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 64
  • uploadfromtaptalk1433008682606.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1433008682606.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 67
Needs to have no surfactants, dyes, or anything else. If you aren't sure you should be able to check the manufacturer's website for more information. I found mine at a dollar store. Good luck!

If it has surfactants, then no good. Have you tried any dollar stores?

Yeah didn't have any. I'm going to try ace tomorrow.

I already have water in there though and it has ammonia and nitrates and everything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah didn't have any. I'm going to try ace tomorrow.

I already have water in there though and it has ammonia and nitrates and everything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tap water can contain ammonia and nitrates but it isn't enough to cycle your tank. I had no luck finding a source of ammonia around here and had to order it from Drs. Foster and Smith. If you got two little bottles from them you'd be good.

Seriously, just stick a cocktail shrimp in pantyhose. Its a natural time release ammonia source.

Most of the salt water community uses this to cycle a tank.

Seriously, just stick a cocktail shrimp in pantyhose. Its a natural time release ammonia source.

I did this for mine. The guy at Publix gave me the funniest look when I asked for just 3 shrimp(to be safe) instead of the normal couple pounds people order.

Think I paid like $1.50

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I might try it!
Tap water can contain ammonia and nitrates but it isn't enough to cycle your tank. I had no luck finding a source of ammonia around here and had to order it from Drs. Foster and Smith. If you got two little bottles from them you'd be good.

Okay thank you I will look at the website.
I did this for mine. The guy at Publix gave me the funniest look when I asked for just 3 shrimp(to be safe) instead of the normal couple pounds people order.

Think I paid like $1.50

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sounds weird but I might try it!

Back
Top Bottom