Buying from a breeder versus an LFS...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NODAK1979

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you buy any of your fish straight from the breeder??

That's how we bought our discus, and after doing that, there's absolutely no way I'd ever buy that particular type of fish from an LFS ever again. In fact, whenever we're in a fish store, I make it a point to look at the discus. Most just look awful. Total flaws in the shape that most breeders wouldn't sell. I'd say at least half of the discus I've seen in LFS's are culls. With a ratio like that, I won't even take a chance on ever buying any from them.

That being said, the LFS's get their discus from somewhere. I'm sure there are certain breeders who do it ultra cheaply for them and the results speak for themselves. That's why I really have done my homework. My first 6 discus were handpicked by us at the guy's house (if anybody wants his info, let me know). We have considered getting a couple more discus, and know who we'd go to for the particular strain we want.

So anyway...that's my rant on discus quality in LFS's. Do you buy from breeders directly at all?

(As an aside, I will never, EVER buy any fish from a big chain store. It isn't even up for consideration.)

If I thought I could find a breeder for the fish I want (african banded barb), I'd be a happy camper. Barely anyone seems to have them.

It depends on how good your LFS is. I have two LFSs that buy from small breeders, so I'll often buy from them instead of tracking down independent breeders. There's a local swap next Sunday and I'm pumped to go. The vendor list shows several small breeders.

Ugh, I've bought four angelfish from my LFS and they are absolutely terrible stock. They are all sickly and die soon after being bought, plus the LFS only has a 2 day guarantee. Same with the discus. Their smaller fish like tetras seem to do fine, but I'm never buying angelfish from them again.

--Adeeb

Most breeders and higher end LFS don't have a guarantee on their fish. Mine selectively discounts based on several factors. He has a funny sign on his wall. It says... "did the fish look happy in the tank? Yes. Did the fish look happy in the bag? Yes. Did the fish look happy in your tank? No... Then how is that my fault?" I have to agree with it. They qt their fish for a minimum of 2 weeks. They breed discus and african cichlids... nothing else intentionally. They did get some bad angel stock, some of which I purchased. They lasted between a few days and 2 and a half weeks. He will not be buying from the same source again.

Most breeders and higher end LFS don't have a guarantee on their fish.

+1 My favorite LFS has a 4-day guarantee in case they miss something, but it doesn't apply to discus or neons. I think they want a water sample with a return, but I'm not sure. I've never had to take anything back.

He has a funny sign on his wall. It says... "did the fish look happy in the tank? Yes. Did the fish look happy in the bag? Yes. Did the fish look happy in your tank? No... Then how is that my fault?"

Funny, but true. I've heard the aforementioned LFS tell someone he won't guarantee a fish when the customer tells him they're going to put the fish in a bad setup. It would be better if he just refused the sale, but I understand the business side of it.

Back
Top Bottom