can a tank cycle at a LOW pH???? also do u need a STABLE pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_Boy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have 2 questions regarding pH & cycling.

1) can a tank cycle at a LOW pH
lets say 6.0

2) does the pH have to be STABLE?
if so, how do i 'permanently' buffer the pH??

the reason i ask is because.
the pH from my tap water is 7.6
but in 1day it falls to 6.0

now i don't know what my GH or KH or watever values are..
but OBVIOUSLY they must be LOW, cuz my carbonates are being used up very quickly.

Try getting a glass of tap water and leaving it on the bench for a 24 hrs, than test the pH. It might be that you need to let dissolved gasses and atmospheric gases equilabrate. If that sample of water is pH 6 then that is the "natural" pH of your water.

Your tank should still cycle, however you should have a stable pH. To achieve this you can age the water. Let it sit in a container with vigorous airation. Discus keepers with lots of tanks and daily water chages do this to ensure a stable pH.

A pH of 6 is not necessarily detrimental. Try keeping fish which appreciate that pH level. Otherwise you could add crushed coral or simiar calcium carbonate based material to your tank or filter media depending on your setup.

I'd be very interested in your KH reading, which will indicate how stable the pH is. It sounds like you have already tested your tap water after it sits out overnight, and this does not necessarily mean the pH is unstable, after a day it probably sits right there at 6, which essentially is "stable." KH value will solve that mystery, and as mattrox mentions, aging your water on a regular basis might be the wise thing to do. You can keep fish that prefer low pH, which is something I can't do to easily with my water!

Apistos, many tetras, angels, Rams can thrive in soft acid water. Mind you Angels have been bred so long that they are well adapted to lots of water conditions. You still have a great choice of fish if you chose this option.

Back
Top Bottom