Can Bolivian Rams be kept in a tank with German Blue Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can Bolivian Rams be kept in a tank with German Blue Rams? I would like to know because I was thinking about doing a peaceful cichlid tank. Would there be any aggression? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I haven't kept Bolivians but Rams get territorial, especially when breeding.

I recommend 1 pair only unless you have a very large tank.

When I had my 55g setup, I had one bolivian and one electric blue in the same tank together. The water temp was set on the higher end of the bolivian ram's temp zone and on the lower end of the electric blue's temp zone.

They got along fine. Sometimes one would try to bully the other for territory only to give it up/lose it later. Other times they would hang out together in the same spot or hang out in a rock cave together.

Ultimately, I think it boils down to the individual fish and the size of tank and how its aquascaped. Your mileage will vary.

I'd say no, as they are both territorial, especially males, so unless you have at least 40 gallon, I'd stick with your Bolivians. Maybe a pair of each in a 40, but if you did a single species, you could probably keep about 3 pairs. I wouldn't try it without at least a 40.

Nils

I'd say no just based off temp requirements alone.. why both??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom