Can I add fish now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basefrog

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so my 29G tank has been set up for 2 days and I thought I would take a measurement of the water parameters. They read as:

pH - 6.5
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
GH - 180
KH - 180

It is quite heavily planted, but correct me if i'm wrong. Surely these level as safe to start adding a few fish?

Thanks guys!

Basefrog said:
Ok so my 29G tank has been set up for 2 days and I thought I would take a measurement of the water parameters. They read as:

pH - 6.5
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
GH - 180
KH - 180

It is quite heavily planted, but correct me if i'm wrong. Surely these level as safe to start adding a few fish?

Thanks guys!

2 days not make a tank cycled. Ammonia? In order to build BB you need an ammonia source. You can either buy pure ammonia, add a raw shrimp or do a fish IN cycle. Since you don't currently have fish I suggest reading up on doing a fish LESS cycle.

Great thanks =) So am i right in thinking if i was to do the fish-in cycle, it is safe to start adding a few?

Basefrog said:
Great thanks =) So am i right in thinking if i was to do the fish-in cycle, it is safe to start adding a few?

If you're going to do a fish IN cycle you can add them any time but I strongly advise to only add a few, test your water daily & do water changes based on test results. I was averaging 50%+ water changes about every 3 days to keep my water safe for the fish.

Be aware -- fish-in cycling can take several months to complete, and sometimes you lose fish in the process no matter what. The safest way is fishless, and it usually takes less time.

If you want to do the fish-in cycle, I'd suggest picking a few very hardy fish to start off with. Do you know what type of tank you'll be wanting to have? Do you know how many fish you would like to have in it? Smaller fish will allow for more in quantity, and larger fish obviously not so many. You also have to account for some space taken up by your decorations and plants.

I would start off with no more than 3 fish in a start up. Zebra danios, White Cloud Mountain Minnows, and some types of tetras such as the lamp eyed, tend to be pretty easy starters and can make up pretty cool looking schools. Platys, Mollies and Guppies are hit-or-miss. For the most part they're sturdy, but I've read that the guppies aren't as hardy as they used to be at least 10 years ago. Over breeding will do that to anything. I believe tiger barbs are pretty sturdy starters in the semi-aggressive category as well, but you should be watching what you add. Tiger barbs should be in a school to limit the amount of fighting, and most tetras should be in groups as well.

You kind of have to put forth some planning. I would not suggest putting fish in just to cycle the tank for you, and then realize you don't even like those kind of fish later on. Some very unfortunate people choose to cycle their tank with goldfish or giant danios and then are saddened when they realize they shouldn't add any more fish into the size of the tank they have because they chose "big" fish, with perhaps more maintenance than they bargained for.

I would also pick up a good water conditioner such as Seachem's Prime, which will help lessen the stress of any ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte spikes that are going to happen in your tank. Adding it any time you do a water change should help a lot. Adding a lot of OXYGEN will help the cycle go faster (not to mention AWESOME for your fish); a lot of water changes (every few days) and surface disruption (filter and bubbler). It may be a pain in the butt, but it's worth it in the long run!

Some people will add Bacteria supplement to their tanks, and that's OK. But personally, I don't know how much good it does unless the bacteria they get has been in a cold place. Most products sold on the shelf aren't, and they sit there for a pretty long time. You may be lucky enough to have some bacteria alive at point of purchase.

Before starting a fish-in cycle, please invest in a good liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph. The API fw master test kit suggested. Strips are inaccurate at best and will wind up costing 10x as much as a liquid test kit (which has hundreds of tests) over the long run. You may also want to invest in liquid tests for KH & GH. I dont believe the results your strips are saying but a KH of zero is a big issue- it will make your ph very unstable and your tank will be very difficult to cycle without KH. Your good bacteria need KH in order to process ammonia. A proper test for KH will offer more information on whether your KH is truly zero and needs to be addressed further.

As said, fish in cycles can result in fishes dying. However they can also be done properly and safely if you have the time to dedicate to it. I cycled my 10g with two platys and both of them survived and are doing well, during my cycle one of my platys had fry and the fry survived as well. It takes lots of water testing and water changes.

And honestly I know many people don't like danios, but I saw some giant danios at LFS that were very active, and they really caught my eye and I got 5 of them for my 30g, and I love them. They are very simple but are so lively and they add so much to my tank, they are always moving. I get mesmerized by them a lot! They are also very hardy so they can withstand the fluctuating levels.

Thanks for the help guys and gals =) I have decided to do the fish-less cycle.. I'm hoping to achieve an Amazon themed tank with some hatchetfish and cardinal tetras, though I have shop shrimp I am thinking of adding too!

Basefrog said:
Thanks for the help guys and gals =) I have decided to do the fish-less cycle.. I'm hoping to achieve an Amazon themed tank with some hatchetfish and cardinal tetras, though I have shop shrimp I am thinking of adding too!

Just be sure that you get a pure ammonia. If your in the US many people have had good success with the ace brand janitorial strength ammonia. Good luck :)

Here it is so far.. Getting some more wood tomorrow.. Can't wait! =D

Attachments

• P1010045.jpg
    P1010045.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 49
Basefrog said:
Here it is so far.. Getting some more wood tomorrow.. Can't wait! =D

Looks awesome! I think with the wood you get tomorrow to add to it will balance it out nicely :) what kind of stock are you thinking about?

Yeah going to put it on the right side to balance it out. Then get some Hair grass to fill in the middle. I should be adding my Red cherry shrimp and Amano shrimp from my 6g. Then hopefully getting a shoal of Cardina Tetras. Some Hatchetfish for the top and some Corydoras for the bottom. So there should be something to see pretty much wherever you look!

You could also use some of your filter media from ur 6g to help cycle your tank

Mrs.h2012 said:
And honestly I know many people don't like danios, but I saw some giant danios at LFS that were very active, and they really caught my eye and I got 5 of them for my 30g, and I love them. They are very simple but are so lively and they add so much to my tank, they are always moving. I get mesmerized by them a lot! They are also very hardy so they can withstand the fluctuating levels.

They actually do get quite huge! I know you really have a thing for angelfish n those guys don't do much of anything but swim at full speed back n forth knocking anybody in their way out. They knock into my angels all the time n I only have two of the behemoths(came with tank) I honestly couldn't imagine dealing with five of them.

Wiggles24 said:
They actually do get quite huge! I know you really have a thing for angelfish n those guys don't do much of anything but swim at full speed back n forth knocking anybody in their way out. They knock into my angels all the time n I only have two of the behemoths(came with tank) I honestly couldn't imagine dealing with five of them.

Actually my danios leave my angel alone. Yes they swim full speed but they don't bother my other fish, and thats what i like about them is that They are so lively. I've actually noticed today one of my danios goes between swimming/hanging around my bronze corys and with the other danios.

Back
Top Bottom