can I add fish yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sangusjr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi all, in my 20g, been cycling since Feb 23 or so, used crushed fish food, then ammonia, [the good stuff,] as i became more knowledgeable, and some TSS.

Yesterday i had .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 80+ nitrAte. did a 80% water change, added stress coat as usual, plus 5ml of TSS an hour or so later.

Today had 0 ammonia, o nitrite, 40 nitrAte. Did a 40% water change, added stress coat as usual.

So, will I be good for fishes tomorrow, at least 6 schooling babies, 20 gal tank.

Been getting a good work with the buckets, so a 29 gal acquisition on Mon or Tue.

Thanks for all the help all.

Last edited:
Ideally you should get down to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrItes within 24 hours of dosing ammonia up to 3ppm. I would suggest doing this first.

Thanks Untimely. I've added a dose of ammonia, will see what happens tomorrow, Sat.

Been cycling 2 tanks for about 5 weeks now, raring to get some fishies swimming around.

Art.

Thanks all, i think i'm there. an hour and a half ago if i read correctly tank was at 0 ammonia, o nitrIte and 40 nitrAte.

Did a 40-45% partial water change and, fingers crossed, should be good to go in the next 12 hours or so.

i understand that the popular national pet store will have their $1 per gallon sale, starting today, 4/2, and i think they may put fishes on 'special' at the same time, but not a big deal.

over the past month or so, i've listened to the folks who recommend regular
dosing with ammonia and done that quite a bit, plus api quick start, [not TSS as i may have said,], and some crushed fish food every now and then.....so i reckon there should be a decent bacteria base built up.

think i'll start with 6 schooling of what's on offer at the store late tomorrow or Mon.

it's a 20 gal so i reckon i can do that and wait a week or two, and depending on the parameters, add another 6 or so.

i would really appreciate any guidance and/or advice as this is my first go around.
oh, both tanks have heavy substrate, the small river pea gravel......i will be using them to seed my aquaponics system after i get the aquariums going...the other tank is a 5.5 gal, for my betta, can't wait.

i have a 10 gal waiting and i'll likely get a 29 gal in the next few days. With all the good advice and guidance pretty sure it's all good.

Thanks again all.
Art.

Back
Top Bottom