Can I add plants during fishless cycle? (5 weeks in)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.

I'm into 5 weeks now of my fishless cycle. Ammonia is being consumed to zero in 24 hours. Nitrites are "almost" being consumed to zero in 24 hours, this is after dosing ammonia to 2.0ppm. So as you can see I'm almost cycled.

Will adding live plants at the stage be ok? Maybe even help it?

I have sand substrate, some rocks and a few pieces of bogwood.

Thanks.

Yes, that is fine. In case you need to do any rearranging, now is a great time rather than after having fish in there.

Ok thanks. How long would be the recommended time to leave the tank lights on? I'll be adding maybe some Java Fern, Anubias, Sword. Just looking for low maintenance plants.

Also, with the plants added, should I expect to see a difference in Ammonia / Nitrite / Nitrate results?

And should I continue to dose ammonia to 2.0ppm?

I'd recommend leaving the lights on 8 hrs, as long as you have low intensity lights. (such as the ones normally available) If you have something stronger or algae starts to form reduce to 6hrs.

Nitrates will probably be reduced as the plants use the nitrogen.

Ok. My tank is the Fluval Roma 200 with the standard LED which comes with it. I checked the Fluval website and it reads...

"LED lighting system with 12.5W LED light which encourages plant growth and enhances fish colour."

Would 8 hours be ok with the above lighting?

You're probably fine, as I said if you see algae start reduce to 6hrs.

Ok sorry to bother you but just have some more questions..

1) Do I still do 8 hours of lighting when I add fish?

2) Do I still dose to 2.0ppm ammonia with plants?

3) What additives do I buy to feed the plants?

P.S. The tank won't be heavily planted.

Yes you will need the light as long as you have plants.

Continue to dose ammonia until you add fish, you need to feed the bacteria your growing.

You can choose to add fertilizer at a low dose, but you may get along good in a lightly planted tank without them. Can always add them later, many here will be here with plant help in future. I would see how it goes.

Yes you will need the light as long as you have plants.

Continue to dose ammonia until you add fish, you need to feed the bacteria your growing.

You can choose to add fertilizer at a low dose, but you may get along good in a lightly planted tank without them. Can always add them later, many here will be here with plant help in future. I would see how it goes.
When cycling be cautious on what f erts you use. Many include ammonia and nitrates so you can falsely think there is a cycling success or issue. Just an FYI.

@toolman well you did say plant help would get around to help them... lol

The cycle is just about complete, so I could do large water change, add plants then maybe add fish over the weekend.

Is algae growth worse during a cycle?

@Ashenwelt All advice welcome. [emoji6]

What works for one, doesn't work all the time. Glad to give OP as much information as we can. The more the merrier! You may have experience I don't, and help is what were all here for. Getting & giving, knew someone would be lurking. Lol

The cycle is just about complete, so I could do large water change, add plants then maybe add fish over the weekend.

Is algae growth worse during a cycle?

Sometimes yes. The balance is being established. Remember algae comes from the light / nutrient / CO2 balance being out of whack.

At the beginning of a tanks life, the plants often are limited on the root side, as they are establishing. As such they often are not as efficient, so algae steps in to grab the nutrients. That is part of why people break up the light period (photo period) or shorten it.

@Ashenwelt All advice welcome. [emoji6]

What works for one, doesn't work all the time. Glad to give OP as much information as we can. The more the merrier! You may have experience I don't, and help is what were all here for. Getting & giving, knew someone would be lurking. Lol

Always ... LOL. One day I will beat you to the mark again. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers guys. I added some Anubias, Java and Amazon Sword. Tank has now cycled :)

Yes plants will also help absorb more of the harmful bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom