can i cycle new filter in cycled tank ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep asking away.

Can you disassemble the cartridge? Some just have a clip at the top to keep the fiber attached. If so, take the bag off and clean it. If not, just use the stream of water from your gravel vac to blast as much out of the cartridge as possible.

What filters are you using? Often times there are DIY alternatives to the factory cartridges that work better.

One of the cartridges, the one for my Tetra filter, does have a clip on the top with a fiber bag and carbon in it. I could take that one apart and clean it (should I take out the carbon when cleaning or leave it in?). Also, if I keep using that one, should I add new carbon every once in a while? I have the multi-pack to make a number of cartridges so I have the extra carbon if you think it would be a good idea to keep changing out the carbon.

The other one, for my Whisper filter, is a blue fiber attached directly to a hard backing with carbon inside of it. That one I can't take apart. I thought about using the Tetra filter media on this filter but its a little wider and the Tetra filter media would not stay in the slots.

I'd take out the carbon and wouldn't bother replacing it. I only run carbon if I'm trying to remove medication or tannins from the water.

How deep is the hard backing? It might be possible to tear the blue fiber off the cartridge and fill the frame with sponge. I did this on the cartridge for my Eclipse 5g and it worked well.

I'd take out the carbon and wouldn't bother replacing it. I only run carbon if I'm trying to remove medication or tannins from the water.

How deep is the hard backing? It might be possible to tear the blue fiber off the cartridge and fill the frame with sponge. I did this on the cartridge for my Eclipse 5g and it worked well.

Its a thin, hard plastic backing with alot of slats in it. The blue fiber is basically attached on one side only and the black backing is all that is on the other side. You mean, tear the blue fiber off and get a sponge that I can insert it in? That may work if I can find a sponge with a pocket of the right width, etc. Then I would just keep the blue fiber in there too since all the bacteria and stuff is on it, at least for a couple weeks, right?

You've got the right idea. Tear the blue fiber off the frame and get a canister filter sponge that comes in sheets. I think I used Rena sponge. Cut it to fit and fill the frame with it.

Probably a good idea to keep the blue stuff in the tank for a little while. Put it in a media bag.

lol this post goes on lol so does anyone recommend i put the new filter in now and cycle with the built in filter or wait till thats fully cycled then add the new 1 ????

Back
Top Bottom