Can I get all male platies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
getting mixed reviews on this one - will all male platies fight? I have five male guppies all getting along okay - I really don't want breeding as I just got out of an overstock situation by putting my goldfish in a 90g tank.

This is for a different tank - 15g tropical but would still prefer all males - any thoughts on if all male platies would likely get along? ( know it depends on individual fish).

Platies are best bought at a 1:2 male to female ratio but I don't know why you would choose to get all male. Females are just as colorful

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi - thanks for responding - it isn't the color - just don't want fish to breed.

When I've tried to buy platies online, they don't let you choose the sex. And if you buy them at petsmart, you just get what you get.

I think you would be fine with all boys - I have never had a problem. that being said if you want some girls and have babies that really isn't an issue either - most won't survive. what else do you have in the tank. some fish are great "baby eaters" I of course love the babies so I don't like to have those in there, but depending on what is in your tank the babies may not be much of an issue. The girls bring out the color in the boys. why not have mostly girls and one boy?

Hi. In my years of keeping platies, they are a generally peaceful fish however I have had a couple of cases where the dominant male platy in the tank has bullied and eventually killed the submissive male. An all female tank might be better however if you insist on an all male tank all i can suggest is to allow the fish lots of hiding places (caves, plants etc) as this way they may just set up their own territories and any violent fish may leave the others alone.
If the reason you don't want an all female tank is because of fry, i can guarantee if you left the fry in the main community tank most of them would be eaten and you would only have a few left (this obviously depends on the amount of fry born at one time).
Hope this helps! :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I've tried to buy platies online, they don't let you choose the sex. And if you buy them at petsmart, you just get what you get.

??? If you buy fish at ANY store including Petsmart you certainly can request sexes on Livebearers and if they give you the wrong fish tell them to put it back !

I always insisted my customers inspected the fish before I bagged them so that they would know what they were looking for in a healthy fish. I would have customers trying to tell me oh yeah I just want three or four of that and point at a tank and try to walk away and I would tell them "No, come back here ! Because you need to see what you're getting, and you need to approve it "

I was a Lead Petcare assoc at my Petsmart. As the customer it is your right to ask for the fish you want. And if you have a problem with someone catching your fish , ask to talk to a manager.

Make sure you know how to sex your own Platies and then you can catch any mistakes before you get your fish home.

??? If you buy fish at ANY store including Petsmart you certainly can request sexes on Livebearers and if they give you the wrong fish tell them to put it back !

I always insisted my customers inspected the fish before I bagged them so that they would know what they were looking for in a healthy fish. I would have customers trying to tell me oh yeah I just want three or four of that and point at a tank and try to walk away and I would tell them "No, come back here ! Because you need to see what you're getting, and you need to approve it "

I was a Lead Petcare assoc at my Petsmart. As the customer it is your right to ask for the fish you want. And if you have a problem with someone catching your fish , ask to talk to a manager.

Make sure you know how to sex your own Platies and then you can catch any mistakes before you get your fish home.

Okay thanks sounds like you were a great associate.

Back
Top Bottom