Can I Skip Cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I started cycling a couple of 2.5 gallon tanks for my bettas. They're beginning to get really upset, especially the male. They are both growing less active and I'm worrying about them. My friend has a betta in a 2.5 without a filter. She didn't cycle it and everything is fine. I was wondering if I can just kill all the ammonia, remove the filters, and skip cycling. I don't necessarily have to; just wondering. If I do so, will it start fish cycling? My friend hasn't seen any nitrites or anything. I hear you can't cycle without a filter too, so I thought it wouldn't. Thanks!

A fish in water that hasn't been cycled will cause a cycle. Fish poo and uneaten food rots and causes ammonia and the cycle kicks off. If you do this, you will need to do daily water changes and keep a close eye on the water parameters. Eventually the tank will cycle but doing it like this it can take a long time.

You can cycle without a filter. Bacteria will grow on the surface of any decorations, plants, and in the sand/gravel. You should have some water movement though, even if just a small air pump and stone. Make sure you get a heater as well. Bettas are tropical fish and contrary to popular believe, they like warm water. Even if the room where the tank is kept stays warm, a major point of having a heater is maintaining a stable temperature, not just warming the water. Stability is important to our fish.

Short answer, NO! without cycling, you'll have lots more problems down the road. Save yourself some time (and $) and continue cycling. You're starting off the right way :)

Bettafanatic said:
I started cycling a couple of 2.5 gallon tanks for my bettas. They're beginning to get really upset, especially the male. They are both growing less active and I'm worrying about them. My friend has a betta in a 2.5 without a filter. She didn't cycle it and everything is fine. I was wondering if I can just kill all the ammonia, remove the filters, and skip cycling. I don't necessarily have to; just wondering. If I do so, will it start fish cycling? My friend hasn't seen any nitrites or anything. I hear you can't cycle without a filter too, so I thought it wouldn't. Thanks!

Just to be clear your fishless cycling now and you are wanting to know if you can remove all the ammonia and add your bettas to the tanks?
Yes, you can do this BUT then the cycle will become a fish in cycle for the remainder or the cycle.
You can remove the filters and have uncycled tank but you will be causing more work for yourself in the long run. More PWC. Every 1-2 days. Whereas if your tanks is cycled you can change water once or twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom