Can i use 'amo kleen household ammonia' in a fishles cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
can I use 'amo kleen household ammonia'? It smells pretty strong and I put it in a bottle and it's clear and there are no bubbles.
It says on the back: contains 91% ammonia and n2672 Ec no 215-647-6 Ec label. Is that okay to use to feed the bacteria in my fish tank? I'm doing a fishles cycle.

Hello Banana Mouse. I have moved your post to the Getting Started section.

Possibly. I couldn't find any ingredient lists online for that particular brand. Is there a list of ingredients available anywhere on the package? The major things you want to avoid are surfactants and any perfume or scents.

As an aside, I hope you can now see that Yahoo Answers is a very poor place to get answers from. Everyone who has responded to your question there is wrong to some degree or another.

Yeah I don't always get good answers there i just use it as a starting point. Iv read everything on there but I cant find anything else on the bottle, iv been looking as well and iv heard its watered down and apparently other people have used it to. I haven't used any yet but I'm going to a fish place tomorrow I'll bring the bottle with me and I'll see what they think.
Also I put a little bit in a bottle to look at it and my mother opened it and sniffed it and almost passed out lol so I think it might just be 91% water as well :)

When I shake it it goes a little cloudy for like 2 seconds (I think that's air) but then it goes clear

Can you take a picture of the back (where the chemical information is located)? Otherwise, it sounds good so far.

I'm afraid I can't, I have a camera but I just took a picture and you cant read anything :(

I was not able to find specific information on this product either BUT I did find direct references to using this product on a UK fish forum including member that directly called the company. It contains only ammonium hydroxide & water (what you want). There was a bit discrepancy on whether it contains 9% or 9.5% amm hydroxide- this will make a difference in dosing. I would base
it on 9% and test your amm level to see what it reads first. You can always add bit more if needed.

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

So is is stuff good to use?

I have this green bucket I know it take exactly 5 of them to fill the tank up so I could work something out

Yes, it should be fine to use. Use the calculator I posted & scroll down to the bottom of the page. Enter your tank size, % of ammonia (use 9.5%) and desired ppm (4ppm) and it will give you the exact dose of ammonia. If the ammonia is actually more dilute (9%), then you may have to add a tad more to hit 4ppm.

Okay right, the guy at the store says its good :) its not that I didn't trust you lot I just wanted to see what different people would say. It's says I need to use 3.8ml so thank you :) you have been so so so helpful

Back
Top Bottom