Can I use bio balls for a HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doomsday

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My local fish store told me not to use carbon for a planted tank but suggested bio balls. Will this work? And what is the best brand?
THANKS

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My local fish store told me not to use carbon for a planted tank but suggested bio balls. Will this work? And what is the best brand?
THANKS

It is true that carbon isn't necessary unless you are trying to remove some medication from the water. However, the purpose of carbon and bio media are completely different.

What kind of HOB do you have? Depending on the filter, you should be able to use any kind of bio media. I prefer the ceramic rings like Fluval's Biomax that are super porous and can hold a lot of BB.

I could be wrong here but I think u need to have oxygen for the bio balls to work properly

Bio balls are a bit on the large side for most HOB filters. Probably better suited for sumps, wet/dry filters, reactors, and maybe canister filters. As mentioned above, ceramic media offers great surface area and a compact size.

They float....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Carbon won't hurt a planted trank.

As for the bio balls, not the best choice but they would work. I would personally suggest just using a standard cartridge.

Bio balls are a relatively poor bio media. They do not have much surface area. I would not use them in a hob.

In general, I usually recommend Substrat Pro, Biomax or Matrix.

That being said, I have always struggled with how effective it is to put loose media in an hob that was designed to take cartridges

It's a Aqua clear fluval power filter so it doesn't take normal cartridges

It's a Aqua clear fluval power filter so it doesn't take normal cartridges

In an AC I would look into the media above. They typically come with bio max

Ok I'll pick up some biomax

But on the contrary, I've read that using carbon removes trace nutrients plants want.

Carbon works well on larger more complex compounds. Simple elements such as n, p, k, and trace elements are too small to be bound by carbon. Carbon and planted tanks is a pervading rumor that refuses to die like many rumors in the aquarium industry tend to do.

Pick up a filter bag and add pretty much any of the ceramic based bio-media. You'll definitely want it in a filter bag when it comes time to clean the sponge filter!

In my aquaclear/Fluval 50, after being told I don't necessarily need chemical filtration of any kind, I subbed more filter floss and a water polishing pad for the carbon.

So it's now Fluval sponge on the bottom, then rectangles cut from pads made for canister filters, then the ceramic rings that came with the filter. The plan is to never change the sponge and rings, just to rinse them. The water polishing pad is a pleasant addition.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom