Can I use spring/bottled water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JWALK2828

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am a contractor and today I was in two different homes with tanks. one was a planted tank and one was artifical (both freshwater). both home owners said that they use only spring water, the big 10g(i think) jugs. the one man with the artificial tank said all of his friends from the area use spring water and he didnt know what could be bad with using it. his tank was crystal clear and he had awesome looking fish. he said he has never had problems with it.

For community aquariums it's okay, no harm, but it's likely an expense that isn't necessary.

For planted tanks, usually there's trace elements in tap water that would not be in bottled that can cause additional needs for the plants

For planted tanks, usually there's trace elements in tap water that would not be in bottled that can cause additional needs for the plants

If you have really hard water, it may be good for more delicate fish and and more delicate plants. But like Neil said, you will most likely have to dose a trace fert if you were to use this water.

What are you trying to house/grow? It may be a waste of money, your tap water is probably just fine for most life, so long as you use a good dechlorinator.

Back
Top Bottom