Can my cycle be over in just 4 days??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, as I have posted several times regarding cycling my new tank, I think my cycle is over, or is it?

I purchased my tank (29 gallon biocube) 4 days ago and bought many of plants and fish at the same time (not recommended by lfs). I set up the tanks and added fish immediately. For bacteria, I used some of the bioballs from my 8 gallon biocube and in addition to that, I used a bottle of Tetra Safestart (yellow bottle I think that's what it's called, bottle instructions said it treats up to 30 gallons), in addition to that, I also bought 2 pouches of biospira (each pouch capable of treating up to 30 gallons). I also got a bag of "dirty water" which is basically water and dirt squeezed from a sponge filter from a healthy tank at the LFS. I have been doing daily 30% water changes so far. My pH is stable at 6.8 and temp 76F.

For the past 3 days, I've been getting .25ppm ammonia and the tank has been really cloudy but today, the cloudiness improved (still a little cloudy though) and I'm getting no ammonia and approx. 10ppm NITRATE and 0 nitrite. I have fully stocked them with fish since day 1 and have not lost anything (hopefully none), does this mean that my cycle is finally over and I can relax on my daily water changes or should I expect more trouble ahead?

Fish list:
6 pygmy cories, 6 corydoras trilineatus, 4 red pencilfish nannostomus mortenthaleri, 10 checkerboard cichlid, 2 tiger hillstream loach, 2 otto cats, 3 apisto trifasciata, 7 bentosii white tip tetra, 7 crystal red shrimp and 5 amanos. (I know I have no algae so I put a piece of zucchini for the loach and oto cats to munch at)

Attachments

• GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 69
If I use media from another tank, then yeah... I get a bacteria bloom (cloudy water) for a few days, and after that it's essentially over and more or less cycled... tho it can take a while longer to really settle down.

Yes, I think so. The combination of the seed material from your 8g, the biospira, and the plants, I think you're cycled!

Back
Top Bottom