Can my dresser support my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I just got my first fish tank (10 gallons). I was wondering if you guys think my dresser can support 120 pounds. Here's a link:

Vintage Locker Wide Dresser | Dressers | Restoration Hardware Baby & Child

It's iron-framed (I don't know is that has anything to do with it).
If you don't think it can support it, is there anything I can do to it? Like cover it with plywood?

Thanks! :thanks: :fish2:

That definitely looks like it can take the weight of a 10 gallon. If you are worried just sit on it for a while and see if it can hold you (assuming you weigh over 120). It's easy finding things that can hold a 10. I have one on a end table, one on a desk meant for a computer, and one on two plastic milk crates.

I think it would hold, I used to have my old 10 gallon on my dresser. If your worried put some weight onto it for a while and see how it holds.

I would guess it would hold it fine. To be sure, load up your dresser with clothes then climb on and rock a bit. If it feels stable then it probably is. If it sags and wobbles then i would probably think twice about putting the fish up there.

Hello! I just got my first fish tank (10 gallons). I was wondering if you guys think my dresser can support 120 pounds. Here's a link:

Vintage Locker Wide Dresser | Dressers | Restoration Hardware Baby & Child

It's iron-framed (I don't know is that has anything to do with it).
If you don't think it can support it, is there anything I can do to it? Like cover it with plywood?

Thanks! :thanks: :fish2:

First off that is a nice dresser! Secondly can you yourself sit in it and wiggle around ? If so it should be fine!

That definitely looks like it can take the weight of a 10 gallon. If you are worried just sit on it for a while and see if it can hold you (assuming you weigh over 120). It's easy finding things that can hold a 10. I have one on a end table, one on a desk meant for a computer, and one on two plastic milk crates.

You might be a redneck if...you use 2 milk crates as an aquarium stand. Lmaf, sorry had to do it!! Back to the question, it should hold.

it should hold. how big of a tank do you want to put on top of it? sit or stand on it. walk and crawl on it. if that thing doesn't collapse, you're home free

Water is about 8 pounds per gallon, and with air and pump equipment as well as gravel you are looking at about 90+ pounds. As long as the dressed has center supports you should be fine. A suggestion would be to get a piece of plexi and put it under your tank. This will help with water and other drips that may occur. If it is a dresser you don't care about, you should be fine. Good luck!

Yes, you are fine. My ten gallon is one my cheap fiberboard dresser from IKEA and has been for awhile. Yours is much sturdier :D.

Student furniture has student pets on it! Works all the way around. Next to my 10g, I have a slightly bigger tank whose weight is spread over two little end tables. One was left on the curb; the other was a fiver at a local charity shop. Some bricks evened out their heights, slapped an old towel down to cushion the tank, and now the munchkins can peer at the fish easily :D.

I absolutely love recycling old furniture into fish stands :D. Every time I walk into my bedroom, I see my wardrobe with it's empty top. It keeps beckoning for me to put a tank on top :p.

Tetra1990 said:
You might be a redneck if...you use 2 milk crates as an aquarium stand. Lmaf, sorry had to do it!! Back to the question, it should hold.

Hey, it's in my fish room and I was getting tired of waiting for a friend with a larger vehicle to come to lowes with me to get supplies for a stand. I wanted to get my spawning tank set up!

Hey, it's in my fish room and I was getting tired of waiting for a friend with a larger vehicle to come to lowes with me to get supplies for a stand. I wanted to get my spawning tank set up!

'sticks tongue out like a little kid' :)

Water is about 8 pounds per gallon, and with air and pump equipment as well as gravel you are looking at about 90+ pounds. As long as the dressed has center supports you should be fine. A suggestion would be to get a piece of plexi and put it under your tank. This will help with water and other drips that may occur. If it is a dresser you don't care about, you should be fine. Good luck!

Does plywood work as a substitute for plexiglass?

Back
Top Bottom