Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 472
Can my dresser support my tank?

Hello! I just got my first fish tank (10 gallons). I was wondering if you guys think my dresser can support 120 pounds. Here's a link:

Vintage Locker Wide Dresser | Dressers | Restoration Hardware Baby & Child

It's iron-framed (I don't know is that has anything to do with it).
If you don't think it can support it, is there anything I can do to it? Like cover it with plywood?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Platiesareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: new york
Posts: 1,322
It looks like its sturdy enough its only a 10 gallon tank
__________________

__________________
tonedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Alyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slidell, La
Posts: 2,284
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
That definitely looks like it can take the weight of a 10 gallon. If you are worried just sit on it for a while and see if it can hold you (assuming you weigh over 120). It's easy finding things that can hold a 10. I have one on a end table, one on a desk meant for a computer, and one on two plastic milk crates.
__________________
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Musicfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Holt, MI
Posts: 143
I think it would hold, I used to have my old 10 gallon on my dresser. If your worried put some weight onto it for a while and see how it holds.
__________________
75G and 10G
Musicfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Peteostler43614's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rapid City SD
Posts: 144
I would guess it would hold it fine. To be sure, load up your dresser with clothes then climb on and rock a bit. If it feels stable then it probably is. If it sags and wobbles then i would probably think twice about putting the fish up there.
__________________
Peteostler43614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platiesareawesome View Post
Hello! I just got my first fish tank (10 gallons). I was wondering if you guys think my dresser can support 120 pounds. Here's a link:

Vintage Locker Wide Dresser | Dressers | Restoration Hardware Baby & Child

It's iron-framed (I don't know is that has anything to do with it).
If you don't think it can support it, is there anything I can do to it? Like cover it with plywood?

Thanks!
First off that is a nice dresser! Secondly can you yourself sit in it and wiggle around ? If so it should be fine!
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Tetra1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post
That definitely looks like it can take the weight of a 10 gallon. If you are worried just sit on it for a while and see if it can hold you (assuming you weigh over 120). It's easy finding things that can hold a 10. I have one on a end table, one on a desk meant for a computer, and one on two plastic milk crates.
You might be a redneck if...you use 2 milk crates as an aquarium stand. Lmaf, sorry had to do it!! Back to the question, it should hold.
__________________
Tetra1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
dragonfisher33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,963
it should hold. how big of a tank do you want to put on top of it? sit or stand on it. walk and crawl on it. if that thing doesn't collapse, you're home free
__________________
dragonfisher33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Also I have a 2 gallon tank on one of those cheap folding TV trays your fine
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
dwayne.aycock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Riverview, Florida
Posts: 404
Water is about 8 pounds per gallon, and with air and pump equipment as well as gravel you are looking at about 90+ pounds. As long as the dressed has center supports you should be fine. A suggestion would be to get a piece of plexi and put it under your tank. This will help with water and other drips that may occur. If it is a dresser you don't care about, you should be fine. Good luck!
__________________
dwayne.aycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 36
Yes, you are fine. My ten gallon is one my cheap fiberboard dresser from IKEA and has been for awhile. Yours is much sturdier .
__________________
Thranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
patrickriley2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thranta View Post
Yes, you are fine. My ten gallon is one my cheap fiberboard dresser from IKEA and has been for awhile. Yours is much sturdier .
Then they are definitely fine haha!
__________________
Fish
patrickriley2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 36
Student furniture has student pets on it! Works all the way around. Next to my 10g, I have a slightly bigger tank whose weight is spread over two little end tables. One was left on the curb; the other was a fiver at a local charity shop. Some bricks evened out their heights, slapped an old towel down to cushion the tank, and now the munchkins can peer at the fish easily .

I absolutely love recycling old furniture into fish stands . Every time I walk into my bedroom, I see my wardrobe with it's empty top. It keeps beckoning for me to put a tank on top :p.
__________________
Thranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Alyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slidell, La
Posts: 2,284
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra1990

You might be a redneck if...you use 2 milk crates as an aquarium stand. Lmaf, sorry had to do it!! Back to the question, it should hold.
Hey, it's in my fish room and I was getting tired of waiting for a friend with a larger vehicle to come to lowes with me to get supplies for a stand. I wanted to get my spawning tank set up!
__________________
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Tetra1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post

Hey, it's in my fish room and I was getting tired of waiting for a friend with a larger vehicle to come to lowes with me to get supplies for a stand. I wanted to get my spawning tank set up!
'sticks tongue out like a little kid'
__________________
Tetra1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 472
Thanks guys!
__________________
Platiesareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne.aycock View Post
Water is about 8 pounds per gallon, and with air and pump equipment as well as gravel you are looking at about 90+ pounds. As long as the dressed has center supports you should be fine. A suggestion would be to get a piece of plexi and put it under your tank. This will help with water and other drips that may occur. If it is a dresser you don't care about, you should be fine. Good luck!
Does plywood work as a substitute for plexiglass?
__________________
Platiesareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
dwayne.aycock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Riverview, Florida
Posts: 404
plywood doesn't know the difference....full steam ahead!
__________________

__________________
dwayne.aycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×