Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can Platies Lose Color?

I have a Platy that looks fine, except that it's fading. It was yellow and it's becoming white. All the other Platies in the tank are bright. I'm kind of puzzled. Behaviour and eating habits seem fine to me. Any ideas? That must suck for people, who buy expensive colorful fish if they fade.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Fish do lose colors when stressed or ill. Are there any signs of fuzziness with the color loss? Have you checked your parameters? Perhaps the platy is being chased or harrassed by another fish?

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not at the tank right now, so I can't check it, but last check things were fine. Nothing has changed. I watched the fish for a while, and no other fish are chasing her. No fuzziness at all with the fading color, so there aren't any external parasites as far as I can see. All the other fish in the tank seem just fine. I'm baffled right now. I read through a bunch of things to see if I could figure out exactly what is wrong, but there is nothing visible for stress or illness. Are there any general medicines out there? I know treating what you don't know probably doesn't work out too well though.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I wouldn't treat with meds until you are sure she is sick. Medicating without diagnosis is not a good idea IMO.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I figured as much. I turned up the heat and added a bit of aquarium salt. I hope I don't find any dead fish in my tank this weekend.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to iceywater101
I would try to feed them with some live or frozen brine shrimp. The food you feed your fish can really make a difference in color.

Tags
color, platies

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com