Can someone help me I’m lost and confused!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Preston.23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I want to get a tank, but I don’t know where to start or the steps I should follow. I also need advice for the fish and plants to get. I also could use help deciding on what tank size to get.

Glad you came here for some help!

This is the first step imho... getting to know some basics.

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can go to the top green bar where it says articles
freshwater
articles
Look around for what topics seem to interest you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for tank size, fish and other information...

My recommendations are always to take a bunch of field trips to lfs's (local fish stores) especially privately owned stores.

Spend some time looking and not buying fish.

Watch the display tanks. Looks at the tanks of fish for sale.

Start making notes of the fish which capture your attention, Latin names are useful later in referencing, and what you like about them. A pic or 2 can help as well.

After a bit of time you will likely start to notice something(s) which you are most drawn to.

The #1 or 2 fish/creatures on the list will then be the center of the build for your tank.

If you fall in love with an Oscar fish you would need a pretty large tank and need to know that often these guys do not like plants and other tank mates.

If you fall in love with dwarf shrimp, you can't have a tank with a big Oscar, cause he's eat them. Etc.

Anyway, your fish choice might need a large school, a certain temperature range, or other special requirements.

Some fish you buy at the lfs could grow to a foot or larger. Redtail Catfish (5 FEET, lol)

Fancy Goldfish need a very large tank compared to what you might first think and like to eat a good many kinds of plants. So if you really love and want a nature style planted tank, then the GF might not be ideal.

You may find some things do not match up. And an alternate option would be in order.

Once you find out more information about the fish you like best, then you can build the tank around the fish.

Learning more about other matching types of fish which WILL work with your choice.

A really good size tank would be a 40G breeder.

A usual community tank might include a group of Green Neons which swim mid to low range in the tank, a group of Harlequin Rasboras mid to higher in the tank, as well as Corydoras Aeneus bottom dwellers.

One of my favorite other fish is the Neon Green Kubotai. Kubotai Rasbora (Microdevario kubotai). Swims in the upper areas of the tank and is a fun active fish.

Often people want a centerpiece fish something that is larger and catches your eye, has some personality. One of my favorites was a male Pearl Gourami.

A planted tank is ideal for a community fish tank.

A few stones a couple pieces of driftwood and some low light plants can make a really nice addition.

Easy plants would be Anubias which has all different leaves and sizes from micro leaves to xxl. White and golden variations.

Cryptocoryne aka Crypts. lots of colors and sizes, many are very easy to take care of.

Mosses, and Marimo moss balls, and Bucephalandra aka Buce.

Last edited:
A really good size tank would be a 40G breeder.

A usual community tank might include a group of Green Neons which swim mid to low range in the tank, a group of Harlequin Rasboras mid to higher in the tank, as well as Corydoras Aeneus bottom dwellers.

One of my favorite other fish is the Neon Green Kubotai. Kubotai Rasbora (Microdevario kubotai). Swims in the upper areas of the tank and is a fun active fish.

Often people want a centerpiece fish something that is larger and catches your eye, has some personality. One of my favorites was a male Pearl Gourami.

A planted tank is ideal for a community fish tank.

A few stones a couple pieces of driftwood and some low light plants can make a really nice addition.

Easy plants would be Anubias which has all different leaves and sizes from micro leaves to xxl. White and golden variations.

Cryptocoryne aka Crypts. lots of colors and sizes, many are very easy to take care of.

Mosses, and Marimo moss balls, and Bucephalandra aka Buce.

Autumn has given some great advice, particularly on research and working out what you want from your fish.

One thought, don’t conclude that you should start with a very small tank (just to see how it goes). Smaller tanks can be harder to be successful with as it is easier to make mistakes and more difficult to keep the water conditions stable. So, budget & space permitting, go with a larger tank if you can.

Also, for me living plants (and keeping them thriving) are part of the fishkeeping experience. I’d highly recommend it.

Have fun,

D

Back
Top Bottom