Can this 3 gallon house anyone else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you tap water is out of whack, then you may want to try bottled spring water. NOT DISTILLED! Spring water.

There are smaller heaters you can buy at the store or online

Get nerie snails with a betta after you make sure the water is ok

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396731991.469407.jpg

A little diatom growth but otherwise ... Here's mine.

Consider this a rave for the 3 gallon Marineland as the minimum for bettas! It's often on sale at Petsmart for $28 and the filter is better (and more gentle) than the 5 gallon Top Fin kit. The led lights are so nice too.

Plastic plants. After struggling so with the water, I'm not eager for another set of variables. Once this fish and his neighbors in the 29 gallon survive awhile I'll start doing live plants. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396733339.682706.jpg

Tony it hasn't needed much yet. I suck up uneaten food the moment it sinks, do frequent 50% water changes ... I have a gravel vac but in this one do better with a turkey baster. Since ammonia levels are staying low I'm not disturbing the gravel much at all, hoping some good bacteria will make their homes there.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396735238.821729.jpg this is my halfmoon betta in a bowl, I know that they need to be in tanks but I have no where to put him and this is big enough for him

In the wild bettas are confined to small puddles in rice paddies in putrid water. But the argument exists that they should be in 300 gallon tanks.

In the wild bettas are confined to small puddles in rice paddies in putrid water. But the argument exists that they should be in 300 gallon tanks.

I hear the small puddle argument spouted time and time again by people that don't think bettas care about being confined to a bowl. Even a miniscule amount of research proves this isn't true. They survive in those puddles for a short time which is obviously true but "survive" is the key word which is something that can only be done for a short time.

The Native Betta Habitat – Separating Fact from Fiction | Betta Fish Care

Nippyfish said:
In the dry season, the shallow streams and marshes inhabited by these fish can dry considerably due to evaporation, which can leave these fish trapped in small vegetated water pockets, which is the likely source of the ‘puddle’ myth. Though rather than continuing to live happily in this situation, bettas merely endure these predicaments and opt to escape whenever possible. Indeed, being trapped in a puddle prevents them from finding adequate food and mates, and unless they can escape, these fish are doomed to either starvation or death from toxin buildup, and at best, an inability to find a mate and reproduce.

pets.thenest.com said:
Bettas live in rice paddies and river basins. Their natural territory is about three-feet square. The areas in which they live are relatively shallow and thick with vegetation. The streams are slow-moving and in the dry season can easily evaporate to almost nothing. When this happens, bettas are forced to live in shallow puddles where they can survive for a short time because, unlike other tropical fish, the betta has a labyrinth, or breathing organ, that allows it to get its oxygen from the air it breathes. Bettas are skilled jumpers and use this talent to get from a small puddle to a larger body of water. These puddles are connected by a network to larger bodies of water, and the water is always changing, keeping dangerous pollution at bay. When kept in tiny cups or little "betta bowls," they can survive for a time, just like in puddles, but they will not thrive.

Fine. I have heard all of this before. They do just great in a 2 gallon, even a 1 gallon container with proper care and frequent water changes.

Fine. I have heard all of this before. They do just great in a 2 gallon, even a 1 gallon container with proper care and frequent water changes.

Agreed, but a betta has no business being in anything smaller than a 1 gallon tank imho. I currently have a 2.5g walstad planted betta tank myself.

Back
Top Bottom