Can you over filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveZim1017

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am finally purchasing the equpment for my new 30 Gal aquarium and I have what may seem like a stupid question but I just want to be sure.

my LFS has the penguin Bio Wheel filters, and the 200 model (rated for 50 gal tanks) on sale for the same price as the 150 model (rated for 30 gallon)

is there ANY reason I shouldnt choose the 200 over the 150 if they are the same price? I've never heard of having too much filter but I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

I think you should get the bigger one if it's the same price. I have a filter rated for a 70-75 gallon on my 55.

Steve, That is a good thing to run more gallons per than needed IMO. I would jump on the 200.

The manufacturer ratings on filters are often suspect at best IMO... I wouldn't consider anything less than the 200 for a 30 gallon tank, and there is no way I'd run a 50 gallon with it. Glad you found it for a good deal. :)

I generally cut the manufacturer's rating in half when I'm looking at filters. My tanks look a lot better since I started doing that. I ran a Penguin 200 on my 29g for a while and it worked well, but sand kept eating the impellers.

You have to wonder how filter manufacturers stay in business. It would seem clear they don't know what they are doing. Perhaps all the forum experts recommending larger filters helps the companies profitability.

Back
Top Bottom