Canister filer & peat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeremyblevins

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have 55 gallon aquarium. I'm looking to buy a canister filter, I think I've picked a fluvial 305, any comments are welcome. But my ph in my water is at 8.0. So I was thinking about adding peat to the filter to lower it, specially since lower Ph's have more co2 for my plants.

a lower Ph doesnt mean more Co2. And peat doesnt lower it that much. You MIGHT see 7.5 out of it.

Seachem excel + 55gallon aquarium = -money.

If you go hi-tech you need pressurized.

Just get a cheese cloth bag and fill it with the peat and stuff it into the slot where the carbon in the fluval will go as you won't need it. Prepare for yellow water though...

I just think 8.0 is pretty high, so even if it does just lower it to 7.5 it'll give my water more of a safety net before it goes higher. I've been considering co2 but just can't justify the costs yet. I only have 64 watts so I'm barely over 1 wpg if that matters. Also can I take the filter media from my hob filter and try to fit it inside the canister until I do my first cleaning on it to help move the bacteria into the canister?

Back
Top Bottom