Canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aidanflower

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting a mr aqua 12 gallon long in a week. I am deciding what canister filter i want. I have narrowed it down to the fluval 106 and 206. 206 is probably way too much flow to the tank but it does have a lot more media room and i can turn the flow down. My questions are what one would you get and is it bad to have the filter running with the flow turned down alot?

I run all Fluval and I'd say stick to the 106. It's rated up to 25g tanks and that's fine. To get the 206 your fish would struggle just to stay in one spot and if you did reduce the flow, it would put unnecessary pressure on the seal.

I run all Fluval and I'd say stick to the 106. It's rated up to 25g tanks and that's fine. To get the 206 your fish would struggle just to stay in one spot and if you did reduce the flow, it would put unnecessary pressure on the seal.

Would it still put unnecessary pressure if i put a ton of media in it?

Would it still put unnecessary pressure if i put a ton of media in it?

You should always have a ton of media in there. The more you can stuff in there, the better off your fish will be. IMO, cutting down the flow is the only thing that will put pressure on the system. Point being, why buy a filter too large for the tank and then try to modify it at reduced capabilities or with things that aren't part of the original package ? Truthfully, just buy the proper setup and put your mind at ease. Would you hire a pool company to do an addition on your house or a plumber to install smoke detectors ?

Glad I could assist. I currently have a 205 on my 40b and a 406 on my 75. They both work perfectly for their current setups. I run tons of biomedia and no carbon but I do daily WC's also.

Daily!? Wow thats alot of work? How do you do them? Did you automate them or what?

I forgot about the python. I have a 90 gallon reef and i was thinking about the water changes. But with freshwater the wc are much faster and easier

Back
Top Bottom