Canister Filter acting odd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have the CF-400 UV canister filter from truaqua.com. Its been working well for the past month that I've had it. The past few days, though, the flow from the spray bar is reduced to a trickle and every once in awhile, it sounds like theirs bubbles in it, like when you hit the primer initially.

I took apart the intake and nothing is clogged there. I check all the hosing, nothing is stuck in there. I think I am just going to have to pull out the filter and see whats up.

I was just wondering if anyone else came across this issue, and what they did to resolve it.

Any leaks? Sounds like you are sucking air in from somewhere. Where your intake tube meets your intake strainer, is it below the water line and sealed tight?

No, no leaks. That was the first thing I checked. Everything is sealed properly... It just randomly started doing this. I havent touched anything from initially setting it up.

The whole intake tube is below water. The only part that isnt is, obviously, where it connects to the hose in the back.

Might be a stupid question but... Is there any air from an air stone close by that is getting sucked into the intake or micro bubbles in your water?

No.

And I just took it apart and rinsed out the sponges and stuff thinking that they might be clogged.... And now its not working. The primer isnt pulling in water at all. I tried taking apart the hose and reconnecting it, and its still not working.

UPDATE: Twenty minutes later... I pulled apart ALL of the hoses, trimmed the tips, reconnected everything, re-primed everything... Its finally working. I don't understand why it suddenly stopped in the first place. If it was sucking in air... wouldn't it have not worked from the beginning? I haven't touched it since I set it up.

Talvari said:
UPDATE: Twenty minutes later... I pulled apart ALL of the hoses, trimmed the tips, reconnected everything, re-primed everything... Its finally working. I don't understand why it suddenly stopped in the first place. If it was sucking in air... wouldn't it have not worked from the beginning? I haven't touched it since I set it up.

What kind of substrate do u have?

Eco-complete. It's never been an issue with any of my other filters.

I've had that happen before... Its not the same noise.

It sounds like it got some air stuck in it some how. Mine are pretty finicky after they've been pulled apart if they haven't been filled completely to the top (overflowing) with the hoses full of water. You have to give it some really good shakes and push the prime button repeatedly to expel it all.

I understand about the air.... But it was making the swooshing noise BEFORE i took it apart. It had been running a month, and then within the last few days it started making the noise and not flowing properly. The reason I took it apart was so it would stop making the noise and start flowing properly.

Back
Top Bottom