Canister filter for 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtncrux

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 10 gallon tank currently has a Wisper 10i internal filter. I would like to upgrade it to something a little better. The tank is stocked with a few guppies and a few live plants.

Due to the placement of my tank I do not have room for a hang on back type filter, so I am looking at either an internal filter or an external canister.

I am considering either a Fluval U2 internal filter, or a Zoo Med Turtle Clean 501.

I am leaning towards the Zoo Med 501. Is that a good choice? Is there any reason that the manufacturer seems to only advertise it for use in turtle tanks and not fish aquariums?

Thanks,
David

After doing a bit more research I am now leaning towards the Finnex PX-360. Any opinions on that vs the other two I mentioned above?

I should also mention that if I go with the external canister, the conister will be sitting on the counter at the same level as the tank.

The zoo med one can be used in an aquarium but you should only expect it to do about half of what it's rated for. I think that one is rated for 25g? So at half it wouldn't be the best. The U2 would likely be better. You also need to account for the fact that the Zoo med one only has about a 2 foot lift.

If you want a zoo med canister specifically then I'd opt for the higher filtration capacity 511 model. I just added a SunSun canister to one of my 10 gallons and it works great! It'll run solely on that once the BB populates it. The water is extremely clear since adding it. I thought it was before but I was mistaken. It's rated for up to twenty gallons and for ~$40 it's a nice little filter.

After doing a bit more research I am now leaning towards the Finnex PX-360. Any opinions on that vs the other two I mentioned above?

I should also mention that if I go with the external canister, the conister will be sitting on the counter at the same level as the tank.

A canister filter has to be below the tank to work properly. It will not work at the same level of the tank? I don't see how you can't fit a HOB? It doesn't have to be on the back it can hang on the sides?

Might want to consider a submersible like Fluval U2 or even a sponge with a small power head. Both options are completely in-tank (OP suggests tank-side real estate is at a premium.) With a light bio-load and plants, you could invest in good lights and do more with natural cycles.

Try a sunsun 603 canister filter. I just bought one for my 10g and am happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom