Canister filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Topher377

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok every one im looking into getting my first canister filter. Im lookng at the sunsun HW-704B. Shows its a 5 stage 4 baskets and 1 uv light. Shows the gph is 525 and the power pump is 45 W. Reviews look good my question is would this be to big for my 30 gal? Eventually ill upgrade to a bigger tank so if i get the bigger one now i want have to buy a different one when the time comes. Thank you in advance.

Right now i have 5 danios and an albino rainbow shark and after i get my canister filter my buddy is giving me a cichlid

It will be high flow. Not enough to shoot the fish out the other side. :D

I do not have any experience with sunsun(I run a fluval 306 on my 45g) but I would shoot for a 4-10x turnover rate for fw aquariums. So for you 120-300gph, I would be willing to bet sunsun claim of 525gph is overrated and more than likely with no media in it. So if you plan on running it packed full of media it might work. If it's still to much flow you could trya diy spraybar to help break the flow up.

I think you'll be fine. If the flow does prove to be a bit strong you could always add a ball valve.

The one I'm looking at on amazon is media included and it is the 304 b not the one i posted originally

I have all types of canisters. The sun sun was the worst every one except 1 leaked like a siv.

I sent every one back. There gasket is terrible. For the price go with the cascade 1000.

I have this running a 55 gal saltwater no problem.

I have 3 of them. I'm going to purchase another to run my 55 gal breeding tank.

If you need a uv light purchase it separately.

I am very disappointed in pen plax new marlin canister (JUNK)

I have a Sunsun 302 as well. 264gph. I had originally purchased it for my 29 but wanted more turn over so I upgraded to the 703B.

I moved the 302 over to my 20 gallon. I have had it for 1 1/2 years without issue. I haven't had any problems with my 703B either.

I will tell you it is important to have a spare O ring on hand. I got impatient when reassembling a few months back and damaged the o ring. So it leaked. I put the new o ring on and now problems.

I recommend keeping any canister in a tub to acknowledge to fact that at any point it might need attention. I keep mine in the big black garbage can to the right of the cabinet. . IMG_9056.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up with a cascade 1000. Loving it so far!

Back
Top Bottom