Canister Filter or Hanging Filter???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christopherlh84

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting ready to buy a 40 gal breeder and have been doing some research on filters. I was wondering the pro and cons of canisters vs hanging??:fish2::fish1:

Canisters are expensive compared to HOB. Dont buy it unless you plan to use CO2 for plants.

I have a canister and don't use CO2 for my plants. I have both actually, a canister and HOB. Canisters are good because they can hold a lot of media and you can put anything you want inside, so you can customize it. They are a bit more difficult to get into though when you need to clean them. Plus they are HUGE so you'd need a good amount of space under the tank to house it. Some HOBs like the AquaClear are similar in that you can put anything you want in there. Some other HOBs are limited in that they only take certain types of carbon pads. For a 40 breeder, you could do something like two Aquaclear 50 or 70 hobs or a larger canister like a FLuval 306 or 406.

Filtration Equipment

I am getting ready to buy a 40 gal breeder and have been doing some research on filters. I was wondering the pro and cons of canisters vs hanging??:fish2::fish1:

Hello Chris...

A Hagen AquaClear 50 will cost you about $40.00. I recommend two of them for your 40 G, so you're looking at about $80.00. They're very reliable. I've had them running for years in my planted tanks. A canister filter will easily cost you $150.00 and I don't believe they're twice as good or needed for most of us average tank keepers.

B

Well I think you will need to compare for yourself I had both but now I run fluval canisters on all 15 of my tanks yes they are more money but you can customize it anyway you want store loads of extra media for a quick cycle and I dont find them hard to get into you just shut off the aqua stop and disconnect rinse your media and re prime it then do your water change. Don't get me wrong I like aqua clears but I LOVE MY FULVAL CANISTERS

I have both a fluval 305 and an AC 70 on my 60 and i have to say, i like the aquaclear better.

Isn't aquaclear and fluval both made by Hagen? And I have been looking at the aquaclear on line and it looks impressive.

Back
Top Bottom