Canister Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koeppen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just got a 56 gallon tank. I am hoping to have it heavily planted. I really appriciate any advice people have to offer. I have just added plants and have eco-complete as my substrate with a flora-sun bulb. I have added root tabs and the tank is 1/3 of the way full of water and has no heater or filter but i will be getting them is 2 weeks. One question i have is which filter to go with... i know i want a canister filter but i dont know what brand to choose and i also want to spend no more than $220 on it, any advice on this topic would be helpful. I am leaning toward a Rena xp4... how are they? Thanks for your time.

I have 2 55g tanks and I use Fluval 406's on them. They are great filters, quiet, easy to set up and service, with lots of room for media.

I have an EHeim 2215 on a 40 gal (a 2217 might be a better choice for a 55 gal though). I started with a Fluval but didn't care for it.....I like the spray bar on the Eheim better than the nozzles on the Fluval but that's just personal preference. I didn't care for the baskets in the Fluval either.

Funny as I don't like spray bars at all.... OP alot of this is choice and what you find will work best for you in the end. Everyone has canisters they come to prefer for various reasons and honestly the big name ones are all good canisters.

^ agreed, most of it is personal preference. In terms of actual filtration, both the Eheim and Fluval do the job well.

Back
Top Bottom