Can't decide....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teagteag

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Trying to decide on the rest of my stock list!
Can't decide between
Silver dollar fish or roseline sharks
What is everyone's experience on these?

Plan on adding boseman rainbows
And cardinals tetras still.

Current set up is
125gal freshwater
Fluval fx5 canister
Artificial plants.

Stocked with
3 blue gourami
3 dwarf gourami
6 zebra danio
3 German blue ram
2 rubber lip Pleco
2 petricola cat
1 clown loach
(trying to find a few more friends for him. My LFS hasn't received his order)

Tank is established. (Cycled ?)
And all the fish get along well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

silver dolars would be a bad idea - they are very skittish, and will only come out at night. also, they require very specific water conditions. I would go with the roseline.

I'm not going to help by saying this but a school of Silver Dollars aren't skittish and will come out and interact with tank mates. The really don't have any specific requirements as the are hardy and adaptable. Feed high quality veggie flakes and/ or fresh veggies.

Very small Silver Dollars maybe, but I've kept 5 of them with CA Cichlids with no major issues.

Silver dollars are awesome. I have a school of 7 that are out and about at all times. I've had them over five years now. They can be very skittish at first but will calm down considerably if tank mates are not aggressive. They can be trained to not eat live plants if fed a high quality veggie-based diet. As for hardiness, they are WAY up there. Several of mine were rescued from dirty Oscar tanks and survived the nasty water conditions with fins missing and large chunks bitten off of them. I've had heaters go bad on them both ways, they survived. Dropped two of them on the floor over the years, no problem.

I've never kept Roselines myself, but have considered it and studied up on them a lot. Pretty, nice size and looks like they'd be easy to keep, especially if you ever switched to live plants.

I bought my Silver Dollars on sale at Petsmart for $1 apiece. They all had ick but I took a chance. I successfully treated them (salt/ high water temp) and kept them with a Salvini, Blue Acara, and a 14" Quetzal. I sold them for $10 apiece to a guy who was stocking his tank and wanted adult fish.

The roselines would provide nice contrast in your tank, but I have kept silver dollars and roselines and I like how the silver dollars tend to interact more like what Jason said. Get them past a month or two and they become freight trains much like oto's do.

Back
Top Bottom