Can't get ammonia down!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cody_Sebastian

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I've had my tank for about 2 months now and I've put in seachem prime and even have ammo chips in my filter. Nothing will bring my ammonia down. I do water changes every 3 days and I nothing seems to help.. ?

Is it possible that there is ammonia in the tap water? I'd test that, if you haven't already.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you removing uneaten food? Is there any dead plants of fish in the tank? The Ammonia in the tap water should be removed if you're using Prime.

Sent from Mariana Trench

Are you removing uneaten food? Is there any dead plants of fish in the tank? The Ammonia in the tap water should be removed if you're using Prime.

Sent from Mariana Trench

Yes bought a 60$ gravel vacuum and do it every 2 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dont vaccum gravel every 2 days!! You need to let beneficial bacteria build up everywhere to help lower ammonia and If you vacuum too much it wont build up in gravel

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Prime does not remove ammonia, it just binds it into a safer form until it can go through the nitrogen cycle. However, it will still show up on an ammonia test.
Most of your biological filtration should be in your filters bio-media. The bacteria in the gravel should be of small consequence. Even so, you're not likely to remove much with a gravel vac.

Hello I've had my tank for about 2 months now and I've put in seachem prime and even have ammo chips in my filter. Nothing will bring my ammonia down. I do water changes every 3 days and I nothing seems to help.. ��
Add the live hardy plants in your aquarium! :popcorn:

Prime does not remove ammonia, it just binds it into a safer form until it can go through the nitrogen cycle. However, it will still show up on an ammonia test.

Most of your biological filtration should be in your filters bio-media. The bacteria in the gravel should be of small consequence. Even so, you're not likely to remove much with a gravel vac.

I just bought a hydro sponge pro filter to help the biology filtration. Because I thinks that's my problem.

Add the live hardy plants in your aquarium! :popcorn:

I have about 3 moss balls in there at the moment !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

are you cycling? I see one fish in there. Amm was the longest stage of my cycle on my 29 and honestly the best thing I did was just leave it. I did routine water changes and waited.

I had plants tho.

If you are cycling then you pretty much just have to wait it out.

I have finally got my ammonia down! ☺did some different stuff to the tank and the ammonia went from 8.0 to 0.25!!!

If you use tap water to clean then that will cause problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom