Can't increase ammonia-level during cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Highstreet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi aquarium-people,

I'm new to the aquarium-hobby and I recently bought my first aquarium. I'm currently trying to cycle it, but have a problem with the ammonia-levels.
If I understand correctly, as a first step the ammonia level should be increased to about 5 ppm. I'm using a pure 25% ammonia solution, and the JBL testkit.

I have been experimenting, but no matter how much ammonia I add, I can't get the level higher then around 0.2 - 0.4 ppm

Does anybody have I clue what I might be doing wrong?

Regards,

Highstreet

Hi aquarium-people,

I'm new to the aquarium-hobby and I recently bought my first aquarium. I'm currently trying to cycle it, but have a problem with the ammonia-levels.
If I understand correctly, as a first step the ammonia level should be increased to about 5 ppm. I'm using a pure 25% ammonia solution, and the JBL testkit.

I have been experimenting, but no matter how much ammonia I add, I can't get the level higher then around 0.2 - 0.4 ppm

Does anybody have I clue what I might be doing wrong?

Regards,

Highstreet
Hmmm. My preference is not to add ammonia. I add BioZyme or some bacterial additive to the water. This friendly bacteria helps to breakdown the ammonia. Then I let the water age for at least a month and then add a small amount of fish. Trust me, once fish are added the ammonia will present itself and then you have to do PWCs. I prefer planted tanks and becuse of that my ammonia is always 0. My problem is Nitrates. I perform PWCs 2 or 3 times a week. my $0.02 which is worth.....nothing.

How big a tank and how much ammonia solution are you adding? You have an ammonia concentration of 250,000 mg/l in your stock.....10ml of that solution would contain 2500 mg of ammonia. Put that 10ml into a 20 gallon tank would give you a concentration 2500mg/75l = 33 mg/l of ammonia......so to get 4 or 5 ppm, you'd need to use about 2ml of solution in a 20 gallon tank.

Also, be sure your ammonia stock is fresh. Ammonia solution are gaseous ammonia dissolved in water. Essentially ammonium hyroxide. Over time the ammonia will slowly out gas and/or react and oxidize away, so if the solution is older, it may not contain 25% ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom