Can't seem to get my Ph levels up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chanonastick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys!

I'm still new to this site, so I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong! New to the site and new to fish! :hide:#educateme
haha.

So, I currently have some baby goldfish in a 20 gallon aquarium -- I know, that's hardly even big enough, but I'm saving up for a new one!
Anyway, so I used to have 3 fish in there, and they ended up getting ich and then the other 2 started to eat it, by the time I noticed, it was too late and I lost one :(

So, I've been working really hard to keep the other two healthy. I've been doing much more frequent water changes, like every other day and testing the levels.

I finally got the ammonia levels at a good spot, but for some reason, I can't get the pH level up! I've been following directions and using the API Ph UP and nothing.

Any ideas or tips? ALSO! My fish seem to be changing colors drastically. My white and gold one has black on the it's fins and my black one is slowly turning white with little gold flakes. Is this normal?? Please help! I don't want to lose more :thanks:

Sometimes goldfish develop different colors as they grow.
What is your PH level? Goldfish are hardy, adaptive fish, and can usually thrive in most clean water conditions.
I'm sure some people on here will choke on their tongues when I say this, but if you add about half a tea spoon of common baking soda per gallon of water, it will raise your PH quite a bit. Maybe start with less baking soda than I mentioned; 1/4 tsp.

what is your ph level? I would use seachem neutral regulator it works really to getting your p.h. level to 7.0. imo it is a lot better than api ph up.

Unless your PH is EXTREMELY off, I'd leave it is as. Fish greatly prefer stability over an "ideal" PH level, and any of these products are causing fluctuations.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Question! So since it seems like they're healthy and I'm just gonna leave it.. Are try prone to getting sick more easily??? If the pH level isn't where it should be?

Also, setting up my quarantine tank :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1458519295.074791.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh! Another question!!! Do I HAVE to have rocks or sand at the bottom?

Are try prone to getting sick more easily??? If the pH level isn't where it should be?

Not necessarily. There are other things that can cause them to become stressed and weakened such as nitrogenous wastes (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) and inappropriate or fluctuating temperature.
1. What do you think the pH level should be at?
2. What is the pH in your tank (already asked a few posts back)?

Hey, sorry I guess I never answered that. Haha, from all the reading one done, it says the pH level should be at like 7-7.5 because goldfish like it a little higher. It's currently at like 6.

All the other levels seem normal. I've been using the API master test kit.

Ever since they got sick from ich, I'm not able to get the pH level back up. I've been scared they're going to get sick again, so I've been doing 20% water changes every other day.

No problem. Fish can adjust to pH levels from 6-8 with some even slightly outside of those ranges.
If you could, test the tap water straight out of the faucet and again after letting it sit out overnight. If these readings differ, then trapped gases in the tap are influencing the pH. If it is 7 or higher out of the tap around and after sitting overnight, then most likely something in the tank is bringing it down.

Edit: Thumbs up for setting up a QT. All new acquisitions go into QT for about 2 weeks before going into the main tank.

Ok, I will try that tonight and let you know! Thank you so much ?

when I had goldfish I filled the tank with treated tap water never worried about ph ,
the temp was at 65* the fish grew fast always around 12 inch or so , I gave them no special attention , just fed them and did a weekly water change nothing else.

Fancy Goldfish do need a bit more care. I'd highly recommend a young woman's channel on YouTube. She posts as Solid Gold. She raises show quality Fancy Goldfish. Lots of great educational vids.

With Fancies, don't go overboard on current. If your bubble wands are making the water move too much, dial the volume down. Don't blow your fish around.

Avoid cheap plants with sharp edges. Silk plants or real are safer.

No rocks or decor with sharp edges.

Fancies should NEVER eat floating food. Buy sinking pellets made for Fancies or soak any food before you feed them. Also feed a frozen/thawed shelled green pea per fish once a week. They are very prone to constipation and swim bladder issues.

You can get a sturdy plastic bin to make an indoor pond while you save up for a tank. Also check Craigslist for used tanks. Or Petco $1/gallon sale.

For 2 GF, I'd try to go 40g minimum.
If you plan to add a 3rd look at 60-75g.

Also canister filters are often used for GF. You typically want 5-10x tank volume. So a 40g I'd run a canister filter rated for 200g for an HOB get one rated for 400g ( may need 2 filters)

Fancy GF also like it a little warmer than Commons. I kept mine about 72°F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome!! I'm gonna watch those videos after work. Haha. Thanks so much!!

Back
Top Bottom