Carbon and tank cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pentiumburner

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 40 gal tank is currently been up and running for approx 6 weeks, intially with only 2 Corys, and a male and female betta added 2 weeks after the tank was up (used stress zyme). Added 2 Balas and 2 Gouramis and 2 more Corys 2 weeks apart from each other.

I have been watching the ammonia (since it appeared to intially go up) and related water specifics closely, and it appears the tank may not have cycled completely yet, My latest tests were:

Ammonia: 0.25

Nitrate: 0.10

Nitrite: 0.0

Ph: 7.20

Temp 78F

Should I be worried? or will I see the cycling continue? I know adding the additional inhabitants may not of been done correctly, too many at once since I only waited 2 weeks between the additions.

Exactly right. What you need to consider is that the amount of nitrifying bacteria present in your tank is in balance with the ammonia produced. The colony simply wasn't large enough to handle that many new fish so quickly.

I don't think you have anything to worry about however. You're merely in a mini cycle. I'd be doing daily 25% water changes until I saw the ammonia go to zero.

IMO no aquarium is really established until you've stopped adding fish. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom