Carey wants a happy tank- guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
In preparation for an upcoming empty 10g tank I think I wanna try a happy tank this time. I have the "mean" cichlids and even years ago when I kept fish I never had regular old community guys, I kept Oscars. LOL

I went and checked out the fish in petco to get an idea. Here are some pictures of the fish i liked. I really want glofish but I believe a 10g is too small? I also saw some awesome colored guppies! Love them! I was thinking having a betta as centerpiece fish.

What do you guys think?

thanks so much!

img_1312723_0_92c0f38f50cbd506e1493225185da3ca.jpg

img_1312723_1_9ed1f7cb6209643bab621d271c51a053.jpg

img_1312723_2_a4bd93987b8047848d5d3d01968df5f7.jpg

img_1312723_3_3debfcadbfa11b54d472f6c1623f7506.jpg

img_1312723_4_70b4e656bbf6eb84858e1f8d6597a464.jpg

img_1312723_5_c6b19ce2b77215f17e894645d35c2cc6.jpg

img_1312723_6_fd2e42144e9e79e4034a1a77a9f77c2d.jpg

img_1312723_7_524bf12f13aae9d2faf0c0034209f988.jpg

Ok the gourami get way to big for a 10. The glo fish/zebra danios need a minimum of 20 long/29. The tetras get too big and too nippy to mix in a small tank. The rasboras and guppies would be perfect. I keep a tank of just male guppies and it is definitely a happy tank :)

So only two species that i listed are appropriate? Any other suggestions? I'd like a schooling fish I think, why I like the glofish so much. lol

thanks for the input!

I think it can tricky be to find good schooling fish for a 10 gal at a chain store...or atleast at mine. Micro rasbora and other nano fish are perfect for a 10 gal. That way the fish are actually small enough to allow for proper schools, and have more than one type of fish in there to boot.

Also, a male Betta and guppies most likely will not work. The Betta might attack male guppies fins, mistaking them for another male Betta. Sorry to take your options down even more...

a gourami and a betta wont mix.there both labrynth fish,and one will kill the other(probably)

Wow! All this information. i didn't know how hard it was to stock a small tank. All the fish i like aren't right. :-(

Any ideas on a centerpiece fish that could work with guppies? And how many guppies could i have in a 10g?

LOL I know right? It's not like I'm buying another tank, I happen to have a vacancy coming up is all.

Yeah sign me up as well :rolleyes:

The only fish I'd really consider a centerpeice fish for a 10 would be a dwarf gourami and a betta. Dwarf gourami's aren't my fav pick for a 10 but I think it's OK.

Also I have kept dwarf gourami's and female bettas togeher without any probs, so that's not necesarily true that they can't mix. I wouldn't mix a male of each species though.

I have a female betta sorority of six girls in a 10 gal, that's one option.

With the guppies it's not so much overcrowing to worry about but their bio-load. Livebearers do have a larger bio-load. I wouldn't exceed 6 or 7 guppies until you've had a little time to maintain the tank with them for a while and make sure the nitrates are easy enough to control.

Only get the guppies be ause the betta will nip at there tail you also can breed them it only takes a month;) just get 4 guppies 3female and1,male and your all set:)))))

I currently have about 18-20 cichlid babies in there now, I think y filter will be up to snuff for some guppies. lol

So would a female betta and 10 guppies be too much? i might also want to put some plants in there. i have some really neat ideas for black sand and a black background. :-D

My friends female betta ripped the tailfins off all her guppies :( not saying you can't with some females but I'd be careful

:-( Ok I guess to be safe no guppies and bettas.

What about female betta tank? Do they actually swim around and have fun? How many bettas could i have? And can I add live plants with bettas?

Guppies and bettas seem to work for some, but I haven't tried it. It's a little too risky for me. If I was going to mix them in a 10 gal, i would put no more than 3 guppies with the betta...not because of bio-load issue but because of space for the betta. 10 guppies would stock a 10 gal on their own space wise, so that doesn't leave room for betta, who needs 5 gals to himself.

Ember tetras are small enough that there would be room for a larger group of them with a betta, but I don't know if they are big enough to trust with a betta.

I have a sorority of 6 female bettas in a 10 gal. They need a heavily planted tank. No, I would not say that they actually have fun, so to speak.... Also with mixing females there's always the chance you'll have one or more fighters that isn't going to mix with other females, so a back-up plan is a must. I buy mine from petco, so I can take them back if something doesn't work out....which I never do...which is why I have so many bettas lol :)

LOL. I may just go with guppies then if i do this tank. I really wanted glo fish but the tank is too small. I keep running into that it seems hehe

thanks for the input, much appreciated

Oh I've been wanting glo's forever and I finally got 6 for my 29 gal last night :D $6 each :shocked!:

Nice. I wish. :-( I just cant get another tank. It's getting silly. Well if I go happy tank I think I will get maybe 8-10 fancy really bright tailed guppies. :-D

Sweet, you won't be sorry! Just aquire them slowly..because everytime you go in there you'll see another really cool looking one you want! (which is why I may be slightly guilty of overstocking my guppies..woops)

Yesterday I got three awesome guppies. One is green and blue, kinda looks tie dyed. Another is gold with a purple spot on it's tail, and cool swirly squarish patterns of lighter gold on a darker gold background. The third is really pretty with a reddish orangish tail that looks tie dyed. They're really cool.

Back
Top Bottom