Carey's Community Build/Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Of course with the Petco sale I had to get at least one tank!

I choose a 20L. Picked up a 30" pine stand at another store on clearance for $30 so $50 in so far. :) I have the stock hood and light from my 29g sw setup that I kept so I'm pretty set. Have the heater, hoping 100w will be enough in the winter.

I believe I will be painting this tanks' background black. I'm getting pretty good at it I think.

Here's a picture.....Do you think I should paint the stand black too?

It just seems like ALOT of work, It's a solid full backed stand with the exposed storage area. It also has a drawer that opens to a space for your airpump or other gear.

img_1420797_0_cea39466fefcf6e232d587196c63c100.jpg

Thanks everyone!!! This is just the beginning and I am sure I will have alot of questions. ALOT!!

No matter what you do ... I'm sure it'll look good ... but I'd consider painting the stand black.

Good luck!

Well it sounds like I should paint it Black. lol ;-)

I'm gonna go start the tank painting now I guess. Then tomorrow i can give it the second coat and start painting the stand.

I'm moving the substrate over from my 10g, it's flourite though. Should I just get something different or move it over? I'm not 100% sure on what and if i will plant it. I have almost 20lbs of black sand I was thinking of using with the flourite, does that sound like an okay idea?

Thanks so far for the input. You all convinced me what i knew all along. :-D

Awesome deal - Pet Smart have one dollar tetras right now, though I haven't tried to convince the missus to let me get another tank (yet...). I'd paint/stain the stand - although I do like the natural look of wood, especially pine (which is what I do most of my building with), I think darker goes better with aquariums.

Can't help getting the Rolling Stones song out my head right now though :whistle:

The pico was kinda planned and this tank sale i just couldn't pass up. The 10g and the neons were getting boring, I need more fish and inverts. Now with the 20L I should be able to keep much more I hope. :)

And rumor has it there will be just 1 more build outta me by years end...I'm still working it out in my head. So, TBA. :)

Woaa! That's a nice looking setup! You might consider staining the stand. It looks superb!

Thanks! I just started painting it black. :) So far only got the back done. Would you believe it was marked down from $110 to 29.99? LOL

if they had another i would have considered buying it as a storage table it's so nice and solid. barely looks like a fish tank stand.

I'm heading out to the garage now to paint some more. I got the tank background already this morning so it has 2 coats so far and looks pretty good.

I'm hoping to finish painting this stand tonight and maybe moving it into place in the next day or two.

Wow, hot deal on the stand! Nice sale on the tank too! When are you shipping me the stand and tank! LOL

OK so I painted the top of the stand, and ya know what? I kinda like it just with the black on top and the black handle hardware. Here's a shot. Do you think it will be too much black if I paint the WHOLE thing?

img_1422348_0_464f0f4e1f68ab808baee368d2d7f919.jpg

carey said:
OK so I painted the top of the stand, and ya know what? I kinda like it just with the black on top and the black handle hardware. Here's a shot. Do you think it will be too much black if I paint the WHOLE thing?

I vote for all black :)

Thanks Dary....

Anyone else care to vote? LOL I am totally leaving this to the voting. :-D

If I did paint it all black I guess i could get new hardware for the handle, maybe a brushed nickel......

I think all black would be great! And I wish I could find a dealmlike that on an aqurium stand! Can't wait to see how this tank turns out!

LOL. You guys are great!!!

Thanks for all the votes, it seems like it's gonna be an all black stand.

:-D

Back
Top Bottom