Center piece fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viccy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks to advice here I am going drop the Paradise fish from my tank . So I am going to put in 2 gold viel angels , 5 other dwarf gourami's , neon tetra's, guppies and shrimp . Anyone have a suggestion for a single center piece fish ?

Gouramis and angelfish don't get along, personally I would do a max of either of the two and call it done. Those five will fight over territory.

Perhaps you are right about the 5 gouramis , I have never had more than 2 together before . I have had good luck with gold viels and gouramis though . Do you have any idea how good a black ghost knife would be in the community tank ? I have heard they are a good community fish , unlike the other predatory knife fish?

They get huge, like 125g min for a adult tank size, they also tend to eat small fish. A brown knife fish stays much smaller if you really want one, but they would be tricky to feed cause all the other fast moving fish

Perhaps swap the dwarf gouramis for pearl gouramis, and maybe just do one male and two females. Then the angels would be fine in there. One question, can you please provide your tank details?

My tank is 18x18x36 gravel bed artificial root system on both ends , rock in the center back wall and drift wood also it sports 20 plants . Sorry I have not figured out out to post a pic yet . I have 2 Aqueon 50's for filtration .

My tank is 18x18x36 gravel bed artificial root system on both ends , rock in the center back wall and drift wood also it sports 20 plants . Sorry I have not figured out out to post a pic yet . I have 2 Aqueon 50's for filtration .

So it is 36" tall ?

It sounds like you may have a 50g ?
36"x18"x19" ?

I have s single male Pearl Gourami in my 55g. I don't plan to add females. He's super mellow with my Rummynose and Neons and I want to keep him that way.
IMG_4326.jpg
IMG_3984.jpg

Coursair you guy's look good . My tank is a 50 g , 36 wide 18 tall, 18 deep . I am pretty settled on 1 flame gourami , 1 pearl gourami , 4 silver dollars , 2 gold viel angels , 4 shrimp , 12 neon tetra and some fancy guppies . I know it gives me an excuse to up grade to a larger tank soon . I like to see a full and active tank . I still have 3 weeks to end the cycle so who know's i may change my mind and subscribe to the less is more theory and just put a couple of guys in . Our 30 has 2 gourami's and thats it , a powder blue and a neon blue .

Coursair you guy's look good . My tank is a 50 g , 36 wide 18 tall, 18 deep . I am pretty settled on 1 flame gourami , 1 pearl gourami , 4 silver dollars , 2 gold viel angels , 4 shrimp , 12 neon tetra and some fancy guppies . I know it gives me an excuse to up grade to a larger tank soon . I like to see a full and active tank . I still have 3 weeks to end the cycle so who know's i may change my mind and subscribe to the less is more theory and just put a couple of guys in . Our 30 has 2 gourami's and thats it , a powder blue and a neon blue .

Gouramis may fight each other. They are territorial.

4 Silver Dollars ? They get large fast and they eat live plants. Depending on exact species they can get 8". Give them Veggies and greens and algae wafers.

Angels and Gouramis sometimes fight. Not always, but be aware and have a plan B.

That would be a very heavy stocking plan I believe.
That's a lot of large ish fish.

I'd consider something besides Neons. You can try growing baby Angels up with Neons, but they are part of their diet in the Wild. Harlequin Rasboras or Bleeding Heart Tetras would be less easy to swallow.

Back
Top Bottom