Centerpiece fish for 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi!

I have a planted (eco-complete) 29g with 10 harlequin rasboras, 6 albino cories, 2 juvenile male platties (1 blue wag, 1 white bleeding heart wag), and 2 unknown albino/see-through med sized tetras I adopted from a local.

If there is space I would really like to add a centerpiece fish. I look at the tank and wish there was one, interesting and inquisitive inhabitant.

I am very diligent with water changes, but I always want my tanks understocked. Not sure if there is space for centerpiece fish or not. Perhaps a small gourami?

Thanks!

not sure about gourami, i think they may need different conditions and all the others i have owned were very aggressive towards their tankmates (i might have been just unlucky :p)
what about doing a big colour mix-up of pretty guppies, mollies and platties, like one of each colour so its hypnotic when they swim by? plus loads of babies would happen, so free fish food!
what does anyone else think?

Yeah I know! I hoped Pearls would be less aggressive.
I have 2 livebearer tanks actually, so I am hoping to keep this tank as low on livebearers as i can just for somethig different.
Thanks for your post!

bruinsbro1997 said:
IMO I think you have room for just one small centerpiece fish, something peaceful, like a dwarf gourami or a dwarf cichlid.

Yes that's what I thought. Are dwarf gouramis really peaceful?!
I just think the tank needs a focal point fishwise, so something that moves like a gourami and is brightly colored totally works!

Yes that's what I thought. Are dwarf gouramis really peaceful?!
I just think the tank needs a focal point fishwise, so something that moves like a gourami and is brightly colored totally works!

My DG gets along fabulously with my community. I've never seen him pick on my black neons or my neon tetras. He is also beautiful, and inquisitive.

German blue rams all the way. I just got mine today and hes GORGEOUS!!! He gets along well with my guys, and i think you have just barely enough romm to squeeze one in. thats up to you though.

mr.waffles1842 said:
German blue rams all the way. I just got mine today and hes GORGEOUS!!! He gets along well with my guys, and i think you have just barely enough romm to squeeze one in. thats up to you though.

What is it I hear about weak german blue rams and DGs?

mr.waffles1842 said:
?_? do u mean sensitivity wise? just acclimate them carefully.

Not sure! Perhaps it was weakness due to inbreeding????

Well then, I'll poke around on Aquabid for a german blue ram. The petsmart in my area has DGs. Any more ideas or votes for which fish?

Hello. I think you meant dwarf gourami disease. You are correct. As a species, they have been very over-bred and the species now suffers because of it. Many people have terrible luck with them. If I was you, I would get a pearl gourami. they are one of the more peaceful gouramis, smallish, beautiful, and more healthy than a dg (in general).
Rams are another option. They tend to be quite senstive. People get them, have no issues, and then have them die a few days later inexplicably. However, if you acclimate carefully and keep an eye on your nitrates, you can certainly try it. they are beautiful and fun. :)
Any chance your tetras are x-ray tetras? Also known as Pristella tetras?

My dwarf gourami are doing good they seem hardy, they'd go good in your tank.

And the GBR are pretty sensitive, perfect tank parameters, acclimation, everything and they still die on me, it mostly has to do with where they come from IME.

gabysapha said:
Not sure! Perhaps it was weakness due to inbreeding????

Well then, I'll poke around on Aquabid for a german blue ram. The petsmart in my area has DGs. Any more ideas or votes for which fish?

Yes DGs and GBRs are sensitive as they have a reputation of dying randomly that the live up to. But this all depends where you get them from. I have GBRs from a very good LFS and no dead fish in any of the tanks.

A killifish, paradisefish, leaf fish, scarlet badis, pencilfish, or headstander or other oddball could be an option.

absolutangel04 said:
Hello. I think you meant dwarf gourami disease. You are correct. As a species, they have been very over-bred and the species now suffers because of it. Many people have terrible luck with them. If I was you, I would get a pearl gourami. they are one of the more peaceful gouramis, smallish, beautiful, and more healthy than a dg (in general).
Rams are another option. They tend to be quite senstive. People get them, have no issues, and then have them die a few days later inexplicably. However, if you acclimate carefully and keep an eye on your nitrates, you can certainly try it. they are beautiful and fun. :)
Any chance your tetras are x-ray tetras? Also known as Pristella tetras?

DGs and GBRs sound like an iffy idea! I only buy stock I know will survive. I'm on a budget with no car, so ordering online is my easiest option. No 2 week warranty with those ;)

I thought they might be x-ray tetras too but they are not (according to google images)! I have no idea what they are! If i can figure out how to attach a picture on my iphone i will show you....

mr.waffles1842 said:
lol, IMO, the oddballs are the best. my mom thinks im crazy though. you dont, right? 0_o!!!

Of course not! I have never had an oddball per se, so i'm totally looking into it!

Get one. Another option would be shrimp. they dont have much bioload plus they look great. Or even a BN pleco. theyre interesting enough. but that may be pushing the stocking.

I added a picture of my unknown tetra to my photo album. If you can access my photo album (there is only 1) and was to ID this weird fish, please do so! ;)
The 2 tetras were adopted, are larger than my harlequin rasboras, see through, red-eyed. I think they are quite ugly!

mr.waffles1842 said:
Get one. Another option would be shrimp. they dont have much bioload plus they look great. Or even a BN pleco. theyre interesting enough. but that may be pushing the stocking.

Yes I have a shrimp colony! Once their numbers get too big i'll add them to this 29g. I agree, a BNP would be a bit too much :( but i want to try one :(
That's as small as reasonably priced plecos go, yes?

yep. not too too big, but plenty of bioload. amano shrimp will eat poop if hungry enough, but thats never a solution. just keep on doing water changes. oh, and i think i know what your tetra is. gold pristella terta.

Back
Top Bottom