Change gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grode15

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to change my white gravel to a darker colored gravel. What would I do with the fish when I do this? Would I just take out all decorations, then put fish in bucket with water from tank, then take out gravel and put in new gravel? I just want to know the best way to do this.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I did my gravel change... Basic list.. 10 gal Rubbermaid with tank water, heater, air stone, few decorations for comfort , complete dark out..move fish.. I drained remaining tank water in to buckets (you want to keep 50% to put back in tank.. Take out old gravel (with shopvac,way fast) clean tank, add new substrate, fill back up with half old water half new water, quick drip acclimate for fish than back in they went.. Make sure to keep all filter material wet in tank water..

OK thanks

After u reset up, for a few days keep checking ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and pH. Just to be sure. My understanding, there is a lot of good bacteria in your gravel.

After u reset up, for a few days keep checking ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and pH. Just to be sure. My understanding, there is a lot of good bacteria in your gravel.
common misconception, let's say 5% in gravel,5% on deco's and glass, and 90% in your filter/s

Thanks, Brookster123, I got that impression from one of Dr. Tim's videos about how to do your 1st water change after cycling. He made a point of "Don't disturb the gravel", so I figured a lot of good stuff must be there. It's good to know that only 5% is in it.

Thanks, Brookster123, I got that impression from one of Dr. Tim's videos about how to do your 1st water change after cycling. He made a point of "Don't disturb the gravel", so I figured a lot of good stuff must be there. It's good to know that only 5% is in it.
I'd say it's more not to disturbs all the crap and detritus down there, you'd be shocked at the amount I'd sludge that accumulates in a short period, swishing all that stuff up can cause spikes..

I decided what I'm going to do is just put the new gravel on top of the old gravel since its only a thin layer of gravel.

Back
Top Bottom