change of plan???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patagonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
well...i think i might have to re think my stocking list...my 29gal finished cycling last wednesday...so friday i went to pick up my first batch of fish...i asked (and actually paid for) 6 harlequin rasboras...when i floated the bag i realised they gave me 8 8O ...its been 4 days and they are doing great...proud to say i havent lost a single fish since i joined this forum...the thing is i have diatoms (brown algae) growing in the tank :( ...sooo....my plan was to get zebra danios, neon tetras and panda corys...i think im gonna skip the zebra danios and after the 2 week quarantine period for the rasboras im going to get some otocinclus affinis...they only grow about 2''...(right?)...why is this algae growing there??? i have a 20w aqua flora plus fluorescent light bulb that stays on for about 10 hours a day...im thinking of getting something around 40w...will that help? THANKS! :wink:

this is what i found after some research....

DIATOMS
Diatoms: Diatoms develop in aquaria that are poorly illuminated, have a high load of nitrate and phosphate, and a pH above 7. Diatoms forms a brownish layer on plants, rocks, and glass and can be removed by snails and algae-eaters. Diatoms die off when water conditions improve and lighting intensity is increased.

i have 5ppm nitrates...pH=7.6....no idea about phosphates...dont have a test for it...so i think im gonna go ahead and change that cheap light that came with the aquarium and try to get at least 2w/gal...any suggestions?

Congrats on your fish! :D

The diatoms are to be expected; and the otos will happily chow down on that, if you decide to go that way. Otos do only get to be about 2" and are awesome little guys - they're fairly active and cute. ;)

From what I've read, more light will help the diatoms (brown algae) go away as well. The diatoms are a different kind of algae that isn't necessarily due to a nutrient imbalance.

thanks cJw! i have another question though...if i replace the light and get 2w/gal and the diatoms die off...what will the otos eat? i mean the main reason why im getting them is to eat the diatoms...i know u can feed them algae waffers (or something like that) but can i get the otos without replacing the lights? i dont know...just a thought... :roll:

i love otos they are awesome, i feed mine algae wafers....but usually since your tank is big enough, the algae will end up growing again at the end he just finished....it should be a good long feast :D but becareful, ottos are very touchy and die easily in shipment...so make sure to get at least 3 if one of them dies...good luck!!!! :mrgreen:

thankssss...i wants planning on getting them online...i never buy fish online...ill go to my lfs and see if they have them...ive seen them for sale there a couple of times so maybe ill get lucky and find them...thanks again...they do look very cute btw... :mrgreen:

I feed otos veggies about once a week and really need to invest in some algae wafers. . . they don't seem to eat too many extra flakes or shrimp pellets leftovers. . . at least that I see.

They are very industrious, though, constantly cleaning every surface in my tank - which makes me wonder if I have enough?

Anyone able to make a recommendation for a oto population? I remember somewhere seeing 1 per 5 gallons. . . sound about right? If so, I'm short 3. :D

i was just going to post the same question cJw...hehe...ive read somewhere else that u shouldnt get more than 1/3gal water... :roll:

I could see there being a 'food' shortage if you have too many otos, patagonia - let me see if I can't google up some info before an 'expert' beats me to the answer. :D

Well, first results are "One per 10 gallons is a useful rule of thumb.". . . didn't see too much else.

Back
Top Bottom