Changed from fish less to fish in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like you are going to get a heck of a bio-filter!

I am about to do another 50% PWC now. Before doing it, my alert cards show ammonia at 0.02 to 0.05 and PH at 6.6 to 7.0 so no change from yesterday. Headcount shows no losses for tonight being night 4 as fish-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am getting faster at these PWCs. Although spent a few minutes fixing my (bubbler) diver because it keeps finding its way off the gravel. Just tested my parameters after the PWC.

Ammonia 0.5
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Hardness 150-300
Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 80-120
Ph 8.4

After looking at the parameters, I realized I should've done them before the PWC but then I realize I am a newbie.

What I reccomend for people with fish-in cycles is to buy a bottle of Tetra Safe Start (TSS) rated for the size of their tank or bigger. I have never done it myself but I have heard great things about it on other forums. You pour the whole bottle into the tank and don't change the water for 2 weeks (14 days). On day 15, test your water. You should have 0 ammonia and nitrite and some nitrates. Do a pwc and your tank is cycled. Best of luck!

Danny

Hi Danny,
Thank you for your reply! Sounds a bit easy though. I did add 50mL of TSS right before adding the fish in but have been doing PWCs daily with the last two being 50%. So, what do you recommend I should do? A couple of peers have suggested the higher PWCs and I don't mind doing the daily PWCs for the sake of the fish. My question now becomes: are these PWCs and the TSS counterproductive?

Hello Coursair,
Thank you for your input. I did not and do not plan on adding more fish for now and after the cycle completes, maybe only a Honey Gourami. As I mentioned on my previous post(s), I am ok with doing many large PWCs. I do already have a couple of live plants and plan on adding more foreground plants. In addition, the hiding places are there.

I asked for unbiased comments as I already know the PREFERRED method in recent years but please remember that fish-in cycle is the standard for non-hobbyist. I don't intend to offend you and hope this doesn't prevent you from providing useful tips to users like me who go with the fish-in cycle. Thanks again and will provide a parameters' update once I get home.

No worries, I'm not shy about sharing my opinions ?

Tina
Still not a dude

Forgot to mention; Danios grow up to 3" and are very active as well. Furthermore, the parameters that Danios require do not suit what I was going for (keeping a warmer tank for a Betta or Gourami). I have done exhaustive research and discarded many options to get to where I am at now (except for changing from fish-less to fish-in).

Hello,
Wanted to give an update. I got the API Master Test Kit on the mail just as I was doing my 50% PWC so didn't get to test beforehand. Here is a picture of what it looks like

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424997294.352200.jpg

I can't tell if the Ammonia is 0.025 or 0.5 or 1.0 (must be the lights). I would go with 0.5 Here are the written parameters:

Ammonia 0.5
PH 7.6
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

Sent by me; a Newbie
10g partially planted with 7 Bloodfin Tetras - Est. 1/29/2015

3.5 weeks fish less cycling and almost a week of fish in cycling and no signs of nitrates even thought I added TSS almost two weeks ago and again, a week ago. :-(

Any more suggestions besides the 50% PWCs?

Sent by me; a Newbie

Update on the parameters tonight after the 50% PWC.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425085844.305420.jpg
My question from above still stands:
3.5 weeks fish less cycling and almost a week of fish in cycling and no signs of nitrates even thought I added TSS almost two weeks ago and again, a week ago. :-(

Any more suggestions besides the 50% PWCs?

Sent by me; a Newbie

Update on the parameters; I finally remembered to test them before the 50% PWC.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425181202.743630.jpg

Still no nitrites or nitrates. :-(

Sent by me; a Newbie

Hello,
Although I am not sure whether people are still interested in updates here, I still thought about adding them. Two weeks have passed and I have lost none of my Bloodfin Tetras. There is still some minor trace of Ammonia but goes to zero with the 50% PWC. There is still no trace of Nitrites or Nitrates. There is some yucky white-to-transparent material on most surfaces but from what I read, it has to do with a bacteria bloom. I remove what I can and let the filter take care of what floats. I have put a new filter floss without carbon to remove the carbon one but have both of them on my filter. Was it ok that I put the new filter as the first pad, filtering the debris or should the old one be first and whatever can pass go to the new pad?

Sent by me; a Newbie

Good news: left the tank without PWCs. One week has passed and Nitrates are almost at 5ppm. Ammonia is at 4ppm. Nitrites are still at 0ppm. Will definitely do a PWC before leaving on Friday. Not sure if to do 50% or smaller.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427249618.080947.jpg

Sent by me; a Newbie

How are your fishes doing with 4ppm ammonia? I am also doing fish-in cycling and it's been 3 weeks but no sign of nitrite/nitrate yet. I have been doing PWC 10% daily with adding prime and the ammonia level stays between 0.25 to 0.5. Should I just not do PWC for a week and test the water?

Good news: left the tank without PWCs. One week has passed and Nitrates are almost at 5ppm. Ammonia is at 4ppm. Nitrites are still at 0ppm. Will definitely do a PWC before leaving on Friday. Not sure if to do 50% or smaller.
View attachment 268333

Sent by me; a Newbie

I am afraid I am a bit confused here. Your ammonia level appears to be pushing into the blue-green range (4+), your ph is 7.6+ and you have fish in this tank?

Whether you have added a bottled product or not is not relevant with these parameters and fish. You honestly need to do water changes at this juncture in time to bring your toxin level into a safer range. I would also test your high range ph as your ph may be any number above 7.2- the high range test will help quantify this. Feel free to ask questions or need further direction! :)

How are your fishes doing with 4ppm ammonia? I am also doing fish-in cycling and it's been 3 weeks but no sign of nitrite/nitrate yet. I have been doing PWC 10% daily with adding prime and the ammonia level stays between 0.25 to 0.5. Should I just not do PWC for a week and test the water?

Your doing fine! Try to aim to keep your ammonia levels under .5 while using Prime. If your ph is in the higher range or you have sensitive fish, ideally, you want to keep it under .25ppm as ammonia is more toxic as the ph increases.

Nitrite can take anywhere from 4-8wks(+) to show on a test in a fishin cycle that is being monitored appropriately so your tank is pretty much on track for what is to be expected at the 3wk mark with some ammonia present. Do not stress and just continue to monitor your parameters and do water changes as needed. :)

Fish are fine... No fish loss after almost a month and a half of them being in. If you follow my previous thread, I was fish less cycling 3.5 weeks, then fish in cycling for 3.5 weeks with 50% daily PWCs. None of these worked. A week ago, I stopped the PWCs completely and just add two drops of Prime daily to reduce the toxicity. THIS is the method that is working for me as after two months, I am finally seeing Nitrates. Still not sure if this had something to do with using API Tap Water for my PWCs, but I won't know that yet. I would say, continue with the PWCs. If you see no signs of Nitrates in close to the month mark, try something else. USE THESE THREADS... people help!

I am afraid I am a bit confused here. Your ammonia level appears to be pushing into the blue-green range (4+), your ph is 7.6+ and you have fish in this tank?

Whether you have added a bottled product or not is not relevant with these parameters and fish. You honestly need to do water changes at this juncture in time to bring your toxin level into a safer range. I would also test your high range ph as your ph may be any number above 7.2- the high range test will help quantify this. Feel free to ask questions or need further direction! :)

And I am here to relieve your confusion. Fish less cycle didn't work, fish in cycle with Ammonia at <0.2 to 0.05 didn't work. So my LFS suggested that I stop with the PWCs as the bacteria roams around the tank before being in the filter. Now, I finally see Nitrates. I will do a PWC before I leave on vacation for a week on Friday, just not sure how big the PWC should be.

Your doing fine! Try to aim to keep your ammonia levels under .5 while using Prime. If your ph is in the higher range or you have sensitive fish, ideally, you want to keep it under .25ppm as ammonia is more toxic as the ph increases.

Nitrite can take anywhere from 4-8wks(+) to show on a test in a fishin cycle that is being monitored appropriately so your tank is pretty much on track for what is to be expected at the 3wk mark with some ammonia present. Do not stress and just continue to monitor your parameters and do water changes as needed. :)

Thanks jlk; but the Ammonia at 0.25 didn't start my cycle. I haven't done PWCs and that is what started it. I actually don't see the pH going up so I am not worried on that part (7.4 ppm). If I am going to be out for a week and my Ammonia being at 4 now, should I do a 50% PWC or smaller?

Back
Top Bottom