Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good

Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbfish View Post
We have 2 tanks cycling. I want to make sure my thought prices is right.

First tank
28 Gallons
Fish In Cycle (6 Neon tetras)

Today's measurements:
Ammonia .25
Nitrates 10
Nitrites 0

We have never had a reading above 0 for nitrites on this tank.

We have been cycling for about 3 1/2 weeks and added seeded media about a week ago.

I figure for this one water change every other day wait for ammonia to read 0 for 48'ish hours and nitrites to stay below 10. Is that right ?

In this tank I'm wary of a nitrite spike to come should I be?
Second tank
20 Gallons
Fish Free Cycle

Today's measurements:
Ammonia 1-2
Nitrates 10
Nitrites .25

Dose ammonia back up to 2/3 or wait till it falls below 1.
No water change at the moment change if nitrates go higher

So excited to be seeing changes!
Jana
For the tank with the neons, since the load is quite small and you added seeded media you may not see nitrite. Nitrate is a good sign; that means the nitrite is being converted. Nitrates will go as high as the fish load (or ammonia load); so in the fishless cycling tank nitrates will rise higher as the cycle progresses. With fish, nitrates can end up being anything depending again on what fish. 10 seems a bit high for just neons though; have you tested your tap water for nitrate? This tank looks good though. Also it can be hard to tell between 0 and .25 on the API kit; you might want to test against some spring or distilled water to see if the ammonia is really .25 or actually 0 (might be a good idea to test tap water too).

I'd wait a couple more weeks on this tank just to see if ammonia can stay at 0 consistently and nitrites don't show up. If all is good then you can add some fish slowly.

The fishless cycling tank looks good too; nitrites are starting to show which is good. As the others said, watch the PH in this tank. Because there is so much conversion happening so fast PH crashes are common. How long has this tank been cycling? If it's been a few weeks and you haven't done any water changes it wouldn't hurt to do one to replenish minerals and such in the water.

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So if the load is small and the measurements are looking better would it help? hurt? be dangerous to new fish? if I added the last 2 of the neon school?

The measurements looked good this morning:
Ammonia about .125
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10ppm

The FISHLESS cycle has been going for a little over a week. We use this link to set it up:
Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

I have been checking the PH and it is staying consistently 8 for now I might check again after a PWC. Do you do 50?

This morning the fish less read:
pH 8
Ammonia 1.5
Nitrites 2.0
Nitrates 40

I am doing a PWC and dosing the ammonia back up to 3-4.

Thanks again for all the help! Love this forum.
Jana
Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
Look It Up

As long as ammonia and nitrite are 0 in the tank with fish then it's OK to add slowly. The more fish you add at a time the more ammonia is put into the tank from the fish and the bacteria have to adjust, so if you add fish slowly and let the bacteria adjust between adding fish you may still get some small spikes but some water changes to keep things low would help and wait in between before adding fish (1-2 weeks of consistent 0 ammonia and nitrite readings). Adding a few more Neons would be fine.

Wow you've only been cycling fishless for a week and have nitrite and nitrate already? That's great. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? I'd just be curious if any are coming from your tap water. If it's only been a week and PH is stable then no need for a water change yet unless you're bored and want to do one lol

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, cycling tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com