Changing a Tetra Bio Bag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
I hope this question hasn't been posted elsewhere. If so, I apologize. At any rate, have a fully cycled 10G tank with a Tetra Whisper 20 HOB filter. It is just about due for a bio bag charcoal replacement, but I'm concerned about not doing it properly and depleting the "good bacteria" colony. There isn't any room in the filter for retaining a portion of the old bio bag, so: will the sponge in front have enough bacteria to seed the new bio bag? Or, should I float the new bag in the tank (after rinsing it) for a few days before changing out the old one? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. Personally I wouldn't use anything in a filter that needs replacing apart from maybe a final layer of filter floss, which takes up less than 10% of the filter. There are so many good filter media products on the market that last for ever and just need a rinse in a bucket of tank water. I filter through ceramic tubes or bio balls (plastic open mesh balls), course foam, medium foam and finally filter floss. I don't hold with carbon or charcoal filters, I don't think them necessary. Replacing a good chunk of your filter will most likely result in a mini cycle. Also, just floating your new filter bag in the tank won't build up a good level of BB, it needs to have water flowing through it. If it's water clarity that you're after, maybe that's why you want to use charcoal, then Purigen is an outstanding product, but not cheap. Insert a small bag of it after the floss. It can be recharged using bleach, following the instructions to the letter, but I just replace it because I'm not happy with the whole bleach thing. Hope that's of some help.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Reactions: Kit
Many thanks! The instructions from Tetra seem so cavalier ("just replace the bio bag"). It didn't square with anything I've been reading about maintaining good bacterial levels.

So, I should rinse the old bio bag in a bucket of tank water? :)

You don't even need to use it. It's serves no purpose than removing tannins (if you had driftwood) and medications.

If you want to re use it then yes rinse in a bucket of tank water.

Caleb

Thanks, Imacoolguy. It helps to get straight advice from experts! :)

Back
Top Bottom