Changing filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

griff5499

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a new aquarium. It has been running a little over two weeks. I am supposed to change the filter every month. Will I need to do anything else. Will my filter lose any biological matter? I have a 36 gal tank

Says who? The manufacturer? Blahhhhh, leave that bb soaked miracle worker right where it is, every montir when it's gunked up, swish around in a bucket of tank water, no tap water. Only when it is falling apart think if replacing. What kind if filter?

I have a cartridge filter, they tell to replace 1 of the 3 cartridges each two weeks. If I was doing that, It would cost a fortune ! I only rinse 1 cartridge each three weeks alternatively.

That cost 0$, and it's effective. I used the same cartridges for 1 years, no ammonia issues.

The manufacturers recommend replacement every 2 weeks for the following reasons:
1) That's around how long the activated carbon has maximum efficiency and needs refreshing.
2) They want more of your $$$.

Activated carbon does not need to be used constantly. It's primarily for purging leftover meds at the end of a treatment, or for removing tannins when you have a new piece of driftwood. It can also be used if you're sensitive to odors, but weekly water changes will usually handle that just as well. Once the activated carbon is expended, the cartridge just serves as a home for bio filtration and physical filtration which does not need replacing until it's falling apart.

But if you like giving them money, sure, you can refresh the carbon constantly ;)

I was talking about the "bio" cartridges... I don't use the carbon, but fur sure you need to replace carbon after a certain time, it will stop absorbing overtime, depending on the chemical the carbon absorb in the water.

Yep, that's a filter cartridge that utilizes carbon, hence the 2 week replacement recommendation that can be ignored if you don't care about the carbon.

Actual bio media (such as the ceramic tubes, bio wheels, or the little blue plastic grating that Aqueon has in their models) should never be replaced, only rinsed in de-chlorinated water or removed tank water.

Just took readings and the ammonia level is 1.0. I used Prime yesterday. Why is my ammonia staying so high? My tank is 36 gal, been running for two weeks and has a carbon filter cartridge. LFS advises not doing a water change yet, but taking out my filter and just using a sponge type filter to catch the debris. They also advised me to use the prime again and test in about a week.

Just took readings and the ammonia level is 1.0. I used Prime yesterday. Why is my ammonia staying so high? My tank is 36 gal, been running for two weeks and has a carbon filter cartridge. LFS advises not doing a water change yet, but taking out my filter and just using a sponge type filter to catch the debris. They also advised me to use the prime again and test in about a week.
Here we go my friend! Alright, you are in the midst of a fish in cycle, first things first, do a 50% water change, wait 30 min and do another one, that amm needs to be .25 ppm or less for the benefit of the fish! Prime is good here to, it will help with the cycle, as far as detoxing amm and trites for a brief period between water changes, I don't have the link but search "fish-in cycle" I'll be here to help you through the whole thing! It's very important we do this right though, the fish shall live!!

Yep, that's a filter cartridge that utilizes carbon, hence the 2 week replacement recommendation that can be ignored if you don't care about the carbon.

Actual bio media (such as the ceramic tubes, bio wheels, or the little blue plastic grating that Aqueon has in their models) should never be replaced, only rinsed in de-chlorinated water or removed tank water.

That's what I do now, the carbon on mine is more a coating so I just put the whole filter cartridge back in after cleaning and don't bother replacing.

Here we go my friend! Alright, you are in the midst of a fish in cycle, first things first, do a 50% water change, wait 30 min and do another one, that amm needs to be .25 ppm or less for the benefit of the fish! Prime is good here to, it will help with the cycle, as far as detoxing amm and trites for a brief period between water changes, I don't have the link but search "fish-in cycle" I'll be here to help you through the whole thing! It's very important we do this right though, the fish shall live!!

^ Follow this advice, not your LFS' guidance. Taking out the filter and replacing it with a sponge filter will only worsen the problem because you're removing your bio filter and starting back over from scratch. Not changing the water and testing in a week will result in dead fish from ammonia poisoning. Fish-in cycling requires daily (not weekly) water tests and frequent water changes to make sure the parameters are not getting into lethal levels.

Yeah, you are in the middle of a fish in cycle. It's going to take some work and lots of water changes but once you get through it you can fully stock your tank. What fish and how many of them are in your tank right now? What are your parameters? What kit are you testing with? Do you know about cycling yet? If not read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

That should help you finish your cycle!

Welcome to AA!

Yikes. Thats a lot of fish for a non-cycled tank. Depending on the specific tetra and pleco types you might even be overstocked. Do you have pictures of them so we can help ID them? If the pleco is a common pleco it will need to be rehomed since it will get much too large for your tank.

Unfortunatly my camera will not pick up the fish very good. The dalmation mollies are the largest ones in the tank.

The unknown tetras should be okay then. Does the pleco look like this?
Liposarcus_multiradiatu.jpg

You have a baby common pleco then. Their max size is around 2 feet long and will have health issues if kept in a tank your size... Rehome him and get a bristlenose or clown pleco instead, they're much better suited to your size tank. Wait till you finish your cycle before you get the new pleco though, as coming into a tank mid cycle will likely kill it.

I am testing with a API master test kit. I have got my ammonia down to .25 through pwc and the nitrites and nitrates are 0. I have mollies, tetras, and platys. Also a small pleco.

Back
Top Bottom