Changing Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowryder

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I am wanting to change the filter on my 15g from a Tetra Whisper EX20 to something larger Maybe somehting rated for 30g. I then want to use the EX20 for a QT tank. My question is: How do I go about changing filters like this?

Exactly as mfd said, run them in parallel on the existing tank for a month to build up the bacteria in the new filter, then you'll be all set.

Or, take the filter media from the whisper and cram it into the new AC filter, that accomplishes the same thing.

Could I run the ac filter on the QT tank and use the whisper as a seed material and just cycle it like that? I am just wondering the fastest way to set this up because I had to use my old QT tank a a quick nursery and I had my LFS order me some fish which will be here in around 2 weeks, which is why I need the QT so fast. I wouldnt be in a pickle like this but my wife has fell in love with "her" guppies and now wants to raise some fry (they were supposed to be feeders)...ugh.

If they have flow adjusters on them, run them with the old one on maximum and the new one on minimum for a while and then gradually change the flow so the new filter is the dominant one, then eventually remove the old one.

I don't know but perhaps when you do remove the old one, leave the filter sponge in the tank for a little while.

Back
Top Bottom