Changing Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a 16 gallon Bow Front Aqueon kit that came with an Aqueon20 HOB filter. I decided to upgrade to a Aqua Clear 30. I bought the filter today and am planning to run sponge bio sponge, but wonder what the best process is for changing to filters. The tank is cycled and there isn't room on the back to rig them both. I need the hood for the light for the live plants. Should I just put the bio media bag in the tank for a couple weeks than swap filters and leave the older filter media in the tank for a couple more weeks? Suggestions would be helpful.

I'm not sure about aqueons, but do they have the typical cartridge with the plastic to keep it together? If so, cut the material off and put it in the AC for a few weeks. It would be possible to do it as you said, but I think what I suggested would work best. If you have to, put the ceramic media in your old filter for about 2-3 weeks and let it seed, then fire up the AC

The carteidge is floss with carbon in it. It pushes into a plastic mesh sheath in the filter. I dont think I can cut it without the inside falling out lose. I dont know for sure, but if I do ruin the old filter I will have real problems. I will have to look am placing the new ceramic media in the old filter somewhere. I think it would just cause water to exit the overflow.

You dont have to worry about the carbon. If you can just cut the material away from the plastic, then wad it up and put it in the aquaclear, you'll be good to go

I run sponge on bottom, ceramic in middle, sponge on top on my aquaclears... I'd suggest that, with the aqueon floss between the bottom sponge and ceramic.

Back
Top Bottom